The Centre for Coaching was established in 2010 with the aim to support and empower sports coaches and physical educators to develop their professional practice.
Since its inception the centre has worked with a range of Premiership Football Club Foundations, Premiership Rugby Club Foundations, Primary Schools and grass roots sports clubs. The centre works with these clubs to empower and develop their workforce with the overall aim to ensure that the young people they work with get the best possible sporting experience they can.
St Mary’s is fortunate to have a range of experienced and knowledgeable staff that are also current coaching within a range of settings who contribute and lead on the Centre’s enterprise and research activities.
The St Mary's coaching centre offers a wide range of services to support and develop the coaching process. With international experts in various fields and by drawing upon an array of academic staff across various departments the coaching centre provides advice and guidance to individuals, clubs and organisations at all levels. Services that can be provided are on a bespoke basis, however, current activities include support and assistance around:
- Developing and refining game based approaches to coaching and teaching
- Athlete centred approaches to coaching
- Pedagogical change in sports organisations
- Developing coaching expertise through engagement in communities of practice
- Performance analysis
- Coaching behaviour analysis
- Strength and conditioning
- Coach education (programme writing, delivery and resources)
- Development of teaching expertise in sports coaches
The St Mary's coaching centre also engages in research projects around their activities. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Development of a range of CPD qualifications and courses for Coaches working with young people
- Successful tender to Coachwise for the development of the Learning Resource Pack for Tutors and Staff – Level 3 PE and School Sport Qualification
- Development and Delivery of a research project with a Professional Irish Rugby club and their Coaching staff. The project is focused around pedagogical change and developing the role of the Coach Development mentor.