At St Mary’s we offer computer labs, study spaces, laptop loans from the library, online tools like Microsoft Teams, Moodle and Panopto lecture recordings, as well as fast WiFi across campus.
And this year, we’re doing even more to make it easier for you to access technology.
Since the pandemic, more of your learning will be online. That means you’ll need IT equipment and good access to the internet. We’re offering information about cost-effective equipment, advice on how to set up your learning space, and we’re providing physically distanced study spaces on campus. We’re also introducing a loan scheme for IT equipment.
IT Equipment Long-Term Loan Scheme
If you can’t afford the IT equipment or internet access you need for your studies, we might be able to help. This year, we’ve introduced a long-term loan scheme for laptops, noise-cancelling headphones and WiFi dongles.
You can keep the equipment for up to 5 months, then apply to renew the loan if you still need it. Hopefully this should give you time to find other ways to pay for the equipment you need.
To make sure the equipment gets to the people who need it most, we’ve set the following conditions:
- You will have to demonstrate an economic need such as low household or personal income
- You must be studying for an undergraduate or foundation degree (including Foundation Year), PGCE, or a taught MA or MSc programme
- The loan will run from late September/October to February (5 months) or March to July (5 months)
- You might be able to get a summer loans (August to September) if you’re returning the following year
- If you are in receipt of a financial award (scholarship or bursary) from the university, you may not be considered for this scheme, unless in very exceptional circumstances.
You will have to complete an application form with a personal statement explaining your need. If you are eligible, but unsuccessful in your application, we will put you on a waiting list for when equipment becomes available.
We’re looking at other ways to improve student access to technology. We’ll put any news updates on SIMMSpace.
Worried about your financial situation?
If you’re not eligible, or you’re unsuccessful in your application for the loan scheme, there may be other support available. Please contact our Student Funding Service at email@example.com with any concerns about your financial situation.