The Board of Governors is responsible for the overall character and mission of St Mary's University and for the effective and efficient use of its resources.
The Articles of Association require that there are between 12 and 24 Governors as follows:
- Ex-officio: the Chair (the Archbishop of Westminster or nominee), the Director of the Catholic Education Service or nominee, Vice-Chancellor
- Up to six Independent Governors nominated by the Archbishop and appointed by the Board of Governors
- Up to six Independent Governors nominated by the Catholic Education Service and appointed by the Board of Governors
- Up to six Independent Governors co-opted by the Board of Governors
- Three Governors from within the University: two Staff Governors and one Student Governor (the President of the Students' Union)
More information about the appointment of Governors and the Board's business is in the Regulations, the Scheme of Delegation and the Board's Handbook which are published below.
The Board of Governors operates under Articles approved by the Privy Council published below. The former University College was incorporated on 1st August 2007 as a company limited by guarantee. The University is a company (registration number 5977277) and a registered charity (registration number 1120192).
View our Board of Governors
Board information, commitees and meeting dates
Board of Governors
- Wednesday 16 June 2021
- Thursday 21 October 2021
- Friday 26 November 2021 (4pm)
- Thursday 27 January 2022
- Thursday 10 March (Away Day)
- Wednesday 27 April 2022
- Thursday 9 June 2022
- 30 September 2021
- 15 November 2021
- 7 April 2022
- 12 May 2022
Finance and Resources Committee
- 23 September 2021
- 4 November 2021
- 13 January 2022
- 24 March 2022
- 26 May 2022
Academic Scrutiny Committee
- 08 November 2021
- 31 March 2022
- 5 May 2022
Board of Governors recruitment
The majority of the University’s Board members are independent and are not employed by the University. The University looks to have a diverse Board with a wide range of skills and experience.
If you are interested in becoming an independent member of the Board of Governors at St Mary’s please contact the University Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org, to discuss what the role entails and how to apply.
There are five committees of the Board of Governors:
- Academic Scrutiny Committee
- Audit Committee
- Finance and Resources Committee
- Nominations and Governance Committee
- Remuneration Committee
View committee information
The Annual Report, Financial Statements and minutes from the meetings of the Board of Governors can be found on the Corporate Information page.
For further information on the Board, including the Governors' Register of Interests may be obtained from the Clerk to the Governors: 020 8240 4190