Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Employment Status

Hourly-paid academic staff are determined as employees and will be paid via the University's payroll.

Self-employed status is recognised only in specific circumstances which comply with HMRC rules. As such rules are onerous, self-employment status is less common than engagement as an employee.

If there is a query about self-employment status then the recruiting Faculty/Institute may make use of the on-line Employment Status indicator tool on the HMRC web site, and will seek the advice of their HR Partner prior to engaging the individual. 

Where self-employed status is confirmed, a contract for services will be required to determine contract terms and payment for services will follow an invoice submitted to the Head of Department for authorisation; payment will be made via the University's Finance Department procurement system.