Skip to content Exit mobile menu

St Mary's University warmly welcomes students from Hong Kong.

St Mary's has a lively and diverse student community, with students from over 100 countries outside the UK representing approximately 10% of its 6,000 students.

Below you will find lots of useful information for applicants from Hong Kong, but if you still have more questions, please feel free to email

Entry requirements

Undergraduate academic requirements

The Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) is acceptable and the University will award tariff points up to a maximum of six subjects taken as part of the Diploma (Chinese accepted) - UCAS Tariff points required 96-112.
Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education core and elective subjects

GradeUCAS Tariff Points
5** 56
5* 52
5 48
4 32
3 16

Hong Kong A-levels (HKALE) are considered the equivalent to the United Kingdom A-levels examinations.

Postgraduate academic requirements

A Bachelor Degree (Honours) from a recognised university in Hong Kong is considered equivalent to a Bachelor degree in the United Kingdom.

English EquivalentHong Kong Degree: Grade Point Average (4.0)Hong Kong Degree: Letter Grade
2:1 2:1 3.0 or 3.25 (pre-2013)
2:2 2.0 or 2.5 (pre-2013) 2:2

English language requirements

If English is not your first language you will be required to evidence your English language ability required for academic study. Please see our  English Language Requirements page for our standard entry requirements.

Hong Kong students who have scored HKCEE/HKDSE English Language 4 or above can use this as evidence of their English Language ability for entrance onto our undergraduate courses.

Apply online today

For more information on how to apply as an international student please visit our section on  International Application Information.

Undergraduate applicants   Postgraduate applicants


Students from Hong Kong who are offered a place to study at St Mary’s will automatically be considered for one of  St Mary's International Student Scholarships – these are available to new, full-time undergraduate and postgraduate taught degree students in any subject area.

For undergraduate applicants, the scholarship is worth up-to £3000 off the cost of your first year tuition fee. For postgraduate applicants the scholarship is worth up-to £3000 off the total cost of your tuition fee.

In-country representatives

St Mary's has appointed agents and representatives in Hong Kong who offers face-to-face counselling and can help you with your application.

British United Education Services            

9/F Wai Hing Building, 148 Prince Edward Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong (Prince Edward MTR Exit B1)
Tel: 852 34269 976

Amber Education

Room 1208, Tai Yau Building, No 181 Johnston Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: 852  2377 7888

Amber Education (Tsimshatsui Office)

Unit 1417, 14/F, Star House, No.3 Salisbury Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2377 7889

Amber Education (Wanchai Office)

Room 1208, Tai Yau Building, 181 Johnston Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2377 7888

Amber Education (Mongkok Office)

Room 1601, Office Tower One, Grand Plaza, 625 & 639 Nathan Road, Mongkok, Kowloon
Tel: 852 2377 7880

Universal Consultants

Room 17C, Great Smart Tower, No. 230 Wanchai Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2398 3639     

Meet us in Hong Kong

St Mary's staff visit Hong Kong to attend fairs, visit schools and meet potential students. Please see our  travel calendar for when we will next be visiting a city near you.

Meanwhile, if you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email

The local community

The Students' Union

You are welcomed as a member of our thriving Students' Union as soon as you arrive at St Mary's and there are lots of opportunities to get involved.

There is a wide range of societies clubs and societies for you to join and a full list can be found within the  Students' Union section.

In the local area

There are many organisations in and around London that bring together the members of the local Hong Kong and wider Chinese community through social events, sports and cultural activities, including the  Hong Kong Society, the  BCS (British Chinese Society) and the  Chinese/Korean/Japanese Society.

You can also find a wide range of Asian restaurants and supermarkets locally.  TimeOut lists nearly 200 Chinese restaurants in London as well as many  Chinese food shops around the capital.

Useful links