Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Student visa conditions

Complying with the conditions of your student visa

As your student visa sponsor, it is our responsibility to advise you of your visa conditions while you study at St Mary’s University. It is very important that you read and follow all of the steps below. We’re here to assist and support you, so don’t be afraid to ask us any questions. Please include your regnum and name when you email us at:

For more information about your student visa status, see the UKCISA website.

Your engagement throughout the full academic year is monitored. You must attend all timetabled (online or face-face) sessions and submit all of your work on time.

  • Your Moodle activity is regularly monitored and is used as a measure to check levels of engagement. You must be accessing your Moodle accounts unless your course does not use the Moodle functionality.  
  • You must ‘Tap in’ using your student ID card for all face-face lectures. Please do not forget to do this. If you do not ‘Tap In’, you will be marked as absent, even if you are present. You must ask your lecturer to mark you as present if you forget your ID card.
  • Please notify your lecturer, personal tutor or course lead if you will be absent. Your absences must be authorised and recorded. If you have unauthorised absences on record this will lead to further investigation from the UKVI Compliance and Immigration Team.

If you do not attend or fully engage with your studies, you will be at risk of being withdrawn from the University.

Throughout your studies, you must keep your UK contact details updated via the student portal.

You must update your personal email address, mobile telephone number and term-time UK address if there are any changes during your studies.

Please use the St Mary's student portal to do this.

You must live as close to St Mary’s University as possible. This is to enable you feel a part of the St Mary’s community and to fully engage with your studies. If you would like assistance to find accommodation please visit our accommodation pages for more information.

If your accommodation is too far away from St Mary’s University and your attendance and engagement are affected because of the distance, you are at risk of being withdrawn.

You must make every effort to live as close by to the University as possible. 

Keep your travel documents in a safe place. Do not leave your home with them in case they are lost; it is expensive and time consuming to replace them, and you are unable to travel without them.

If you apply for a new visa or passport during your studies, you must inform us. We must have a copy of any new immigration documents.

If there is an error on your BRP card, e.g. your working conditions are incorrect, OR the length of your visa is too long or too short, it must be investigated and sent for correction with the Home Office.

If your BRP or passport are lost during your studies you must apply for a replacement.

For information about correcting a BRP error, or if you lose your BRP, please visit UKCISA's BRP web pages.

Your visa conditions allow you to work 10 or 20 hours a week during term time. For more information about working in the UK, please visit the UKCISA's pages on working in the UK.

You may also be able to work more than 10 or 20 hours per week during recognised vacation periods.

Undergraduate students

Undergraduate students can work more hours during recognised vacation periods. You can show your employer our term-time dates and print a student verification letter from the student portal to prove your enrolment status.

Postgraduate students

Under normal circumstances, postgraduate students are unable to work more hours during term-time. As a postgraduate student, when you submit your final pieces of work at the end of the programme, you are then permitted to work more hours in the last 4 months of your visa called extant leave. 

Letters are not produced by St Mary’s University to provide to employers to explain the work conditions of your visa. Please show your employer your BRP and print a student verification letter from the student portal to prove your enrolment status.

You must not work more hours than stated on your visa as you would be in breach of your visa conditions and your employer would be breaking the law.

Become a student ambassador

Why not work as a student ambassador? Enthusiastic students are required to assist St Mary's with recruitment events.

 If you find work, you will pay tax and National Insurance contributions on your earnings. For information about obtaining a National Insurance Number, please visit the UK government’s national insurance web pages.

Types of work not permitted

You cannot be self-employed, run a business, or work as a professional sportsperson, including a sports coach. In addition, you cannot be employed as an entertainer. You may not hold a permanent full-time job while studying.

Some courses include work placement opportunities.

If you are completing a work placement as part of your course, you can also work 10 or 20 hours per week during term-time in a different job as stated on your BRP.

Your work placement details must be reported to the Home Office. Most work placements are arranged via the workplace learning team.

You will require a letter to provide to your employer before you can start working at the company that explains your visa requirements.

Whilst on your placement your engagement and/or progress will be monitored. If you do not attend your placement as planned because of unauthorised absences, you are at risk of being withdrawn from St Mary’s University.

If your have any questions about work placements and your visa conditions please contact

Any changes to your studies are likely to have implications to your visa. For example:

  • Changing your course
  • Withdraw/leave of absence
  • Repeat or resit exams
  • Transfer of university
  • Change of immigration status

Once you have completed enrolment, please contact with any questions about making any changes to your studies.

Once you have agreed for changes to be made via your Course Lead and the visa team, you will be able to request the necessary changes via the student portal.

The Schengen Visa Scheme allows those who wish to visit certain countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) (and Switzerland) to travel between these countries using only one visa. You should contact the Embassy in London of the country or countries you wish to visit.

The countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

You will require a No Objection letter to apply for a Schengen visa. Once you are an enrolled student, you will be able to request a No Objection letter from the visa team. You should only travel during suitable breaks in studies.

More information about how to apply can be found at: UKCISA’s Schengen web pages. 

There are many requirements for students and their families while studying under a Student visa.

For information about dependants, please visit UKCISA's web pages about dependants.

 The Graduate Immigration Route (GIR) will be open to you if you have successfully completed an eligible course and you have valid student or Tier 4 permission.

Eligibility requirements

 * You must have studied your course in the UK for at least the last 12 months or the full length of your course, whichever is shorter. (Not studying overseas or remotely).

* You must successfully complete your entire course, you are not eligible to apply if you leave St Mary’s University with an Exit Award.

* You must submit your application from inside the UK.

* The UKVI Compliance and Immigration Team will confirm with you via email when you are eligible to apply after the exam board for your programme.

* You will need to pay a new visa application fee and pay for 2 years of IHS costs as part of your visa application costs. Please ensure you have the funds in place before you apply.

* Programmes below degree level, are not eligible. For example, foundation degrees.

 For more information please see our Graduate Visa FAQs.