Skip to content Exit mobile menu

Working whilst studying

Working whilst studying on a Tier 4 Visa

Your work allowance will be stated on your visa sticker or biometric residence permit.

Tier 4 visa holders are entitled to:

  • Work 20 hours a week part-time during term time
  • Work full time during vacation: please see the academic calendar for term dates
  • Postgraduate Students on a Master's course should be aware that undertaking paid work during the summer vacation period could impact on your studies, as this time should be used to write up your dissertation; you would not be able to claim Extenuating Circumstances if you fall behind with your studies as a result of taking on paid work.

If you are studying at St Mary's as a Short Term Study Visitor you are not allowed to work. This includes work placements, service learning or unpaid work.

If you are studying in the UK on a non-Tier 4 visa and you are unsure of your work allowance, please contact

Work placements

If you are studying at degree level or higher, you may take a work placement if it is an integral part of your course. The work placement must not exceed 50% of the total length of the course. The exception to this rule is teacher training, as this course has a statutory requirement for the course to contain a specific period of work placement that may be greater than 50%.

Work restrictions

You are not allowed to:

  • fill a full-time permanent vacancy
  • be self-employed
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson or coach

Exceeding your limit

If you work more than the permitted hours then you are in breach of your visa conditions, which is a criminal offence. This can have serious implications with your immigration status and you may be asked to leave the UK and be refused any future entry. Don't break the rules!

Confirmation of studies

We are able to produce a letter which confirms you are studying with us and the term dates. Please email to request a letter.

Additionally, your employer can go to the UKVI website for guidance on how to check an applicants right to work.

For more information about working whilst studying on a Tier 4 Visa please see the UKCISA website.