Module 3 links with the following sections of the National Mentor Standards:
Standard 1: personal qualities
- Be approachable, make time for the student teacher, and prioritise meetings and discussions with them
- Use a range of effective interpersonal skills to respond to the needs of the student teacher
- Offer support with integrity, honesty and respect
- Use appropriate challenge to encourage the student teacher to reflect on their practice. Support the improvement of a student teacher’s teaching by modelling exemplary practice in planning, teaching and assessment.
- Support the improvement of a student teacher’s teaching by modelling exemplary practice in planning, teaching and assessment.
Standard 2: teaching
- Support the student teacher in forming good relationships with pupils, and in developing effective behaviour and classroom management strategies
- Support the student teacher in developing effective approaches to planning, teaching and assessment
- Support the student teacher with marking and assessment of pupil work through moderation or double marking
- Give constructive, clear and timely feedback on lesson observations.
Standard 3: professionalism
Observation and feedback skills
Using the [Matt O’Leary ‘Classroom Observation’ chapter *** link for this??], look through the nine different observation tasks, discuss with your student teacher which task you will use which is the most relatable to their progress and targets, and carry out your usual observation using the chosen task as a focus.
- Use the completed task to guide you through the feedback process after the lesson and make notes on the conversation(s) with the student teacher.
- Did using the focused observation task help in a particular way?
- Did they help to focus the feedback and make it relevant/SMART?
- Carry out a joint observation with the PCM/another mentor and give feedback to the student teacher – do you and the PCM/other mentor agree outcomes?
- Have you picked up on the same points/given the same targets?
You may want to revisit the Module 2: Effective Feedback (Entry level) to support this work.