This course develops your management potential ready for the competitive challenges ahead of the Third Sector and includes a certificate awarded by the Chartered Management Institute.
Why study Charity Management?
Charities and voluntary services are often berated by the media for poor management decisions. This label is compounded by them being part of a third sector: below the private and public sectors. Smaller charities face increased competition for funds and publicity, and limited frontline resources.
This Charity Management course offers a fresh and positive outlook for the sector, recognising the vital role that charities and volunteers play in society.
You will learn contemporary management and business techniques - underpinned by ethics and responsible management practices - to help charities thrive in a competitive environment.
The programme will help develop your management potential and will equip you for any future challenges the sector faces. On completing your Master's degree, you will also gain an accredited award from the Chartered Management Institute .
Why St Mary's?
As one of few postgraduate courses of its kind in the country, our Master's in Charity Management programme has a strong record in graduate employability and attracts international interest.
The programme is also enhanced by:
- Small class sizes and cohorts that offer a supportive and welcoming environment for all learners
- Exchanges of insights from peers and experienced academics offering real-life experiences of current issues affecting charities and voluntary services
- Guest lectures, seminars and workshops capitalising on our links to charities and social enterprises
- A dedicated team of lecturers and professors with decades of experience in shaping this sector and helping to make a difference.
- Unrivalled networking opportunities by making lifelong contacts with our internationally diverse community of students and academics
We actively encourage research, analysis and debate, highlighting your own experience of charities. This is designed to give real-life insights that help support your progress as an effective charity manager.
- Many of our graduates and alumni gain promotion within the charity sector
- Our programme is dual accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). Students who successfully pass all mapped modules are eligible to be awarded the CMI Level 7 Certificate in Strategic Management and Leadership (subject to CMI moderation)
- We are one of a few universities in the UK offering postgraduate management education applicable to charities and voluntary sector organisations
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus