Your next steps...
Gain direct access to the London theatre industry and the opportunity to write your own full-length play.
- Write scripts ready for performance, including a full-length thesis play
- Modules delivered by leading industry professionals
Why study Playwriting?
The UK theatre scene is a world leader in the creation of new plays, showcasing the most exciting voices in drama.
On the MA Playwriting degree, you will learn the building blocks of the dramatic craft and gain practical experience of the London theatre industry, through:
- reading and analyzing the most exciting contemporary scripts
- attending live theatre in London and meeting theatre-makers
- visiting lectures from industry professionals in a range of roles
- experience of theatre research and critical writing
- the Creative Workshop (a dynamic module across two semesters) on which you will create your own full-length thesis play
- insight into the Business of Playwriting and starting your career
Why St Mary's?
You'll learn directly from a range of artists working at both ‘fringe’ and more established institutions.
In our current academic year, guest lecturers have worked at venues like the National Theatre, The Old Vic, The Bush, Sheffield Crucible, Manchester Royal Exchange, The Lyric Hammersmith and Headlong. These included:
Students participated in behind-the-scenes visits to venues like the Orange Tree, Hampstead Theatre, and Theatre 503. They gained valuable work experience with literary departments and also conducted research at the National Theatre Archive.
You will complete the course with an invaluable grounding in how the theatre really operates, and gain a headstart in navigating your own writing career.
Drama St Mary’s offers a range Drama training programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Our courses aim to offer the very best academic and practical instruction, underpinned by a supportive university environment. The programmes are taught by an experienced team of academics and a collection of professional visiting practitioners.
London is the theatre capital of the world, allowing you to benefit from a diverse variety of theatre and art. The degree expands on our established links with London theatre venues and organisations, giving you the most relevant and up-to-date training.
Drama St Mary's also offers a Master's degree in London Theatre.
We've put together a bespoke virtual open day for anyone interested in studying Playwriting at St Mary's.
Dr Michelle Paull
Associate Professor in Drama