Does the blank page frighten you? Do you have ambitions to write but don’t know where to start? Do you have stories to tell but feel uncertain which form speaks best for you? Paths to Creative Writing is designed to explore the different possibilities of writing a narrative and develop your creative writing skills.
Through a series of workshops, discussions, readings and writing exercises, you will explore four different genres: the short story, flash fiction, prose poetry and the lyric essay. Each week promises to discuss various contemporary writers as well as offer writing exercise to generate ideas for your own practice. There will be opportunities for constructive feedback, and at the end of the course to showcase your writing with a performance of your work at The Exchange.
Dates and Times
This course will run from 10am - 12.30pm on:
- Wed 26th September 2018
- Wed 3rd October 2018
- Wed 10th October 2018
- Wed 17th October 2018
- Wed 31st October 2018
- Wed 7th November 2018
- Wed 14th November 2018
- Wed 28th November 2018
The full cost of this 8- week course is £155.
Week 1 & 2: Short Stories
- Exploring the structures, rules and broken rules of a short story.
- What makes a character?
- From where can we get inspiration for character development?
- We write the beginnings of a short story
Week 3 & 4: Flash Fiction
- How does it differ from a very short story?
- We explore different Flash Fiction stories and write our own.
Week 5 & 6: Prose Poetry
- No quite a story nor a poem, but fusing the two genres to create powerful voices and narratives. We explore different approaches to the prose poem and write our own.
Week 7 & 8: The Lyric Essay
- How can this contemporary nonfiction form develop our writing skills?
- What is its appeal for us as writers?
- How do we write the lyrical I into essay form?
There are no entry requirements to enrol on this course apart from a love of the written word.
Upon completion of this course students are issued a St Mary's University Certificate of Attendance as well as a portfolio of creative writing.