The Level 5 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy (ITEC) course is designed to provide experienced Practitioners currently working in Sport and Active Leisure, including Osteopaths, Physiotherapists, Sports Therapists and Sports Massage Practitioners with the requisite understanding and complex skills and techniques to work as an Advanced Sports Massage Practitioner. Advanced Practitioners will be equipped to work with clientele ranging from Recreational Sport and Active Leisure enthusiasts to professional sports persons and elite athletes.
Dates and Times
- 10 sessions, Monday to Friday on week commencing 10th August and 17th August 2020 from 9.30am - 4.30pm
The examination date will be an additional day. Once agreed with the external provider you will be notified by email.
The full cost for the course is £950. The deposit is £50.
Whilst enrolled upon the level 5 course you will study two units:
- Conducting complex assessments for Sports Massage
- Provide complex sports massage techniques for Sports Massage
Unit components include:
- Understanding neurological presentations
- Understanding and assessing sport specific posture and gait
- Principles and practice of complex assessment methods for sports massage
- Conducting and applying complex assessment methods for sports massage
- Devising treatment plans
- Understanding evidence based practice
- Evaluation of research
Within these units you will learn a range of tools including: Subjective, Range of movement (Active, Passive), Resisted (Isometric), Postural analysis and Special tests (Ligamentous, Neural). Techniques will include: Positional release, Active isolated stretching, Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF), Muscle energy technique (MET): Post isometric relaxation; reciprocal inhibition; isokinetic contraction; Isolytic contraction, Positional release, Strain/counterstrain, Myofascial release, Neuromuscular technique, Active isolated stretching, Passive stretching, Mobilisations and articulations.
The course is assessed via
- Ongoing practical assessments and oral questioning
- A completed Log Book which details sports massage treatments on five clients with evidence of consultations and assessments
- Final practical exam with oral questioning (viva)
- Two Written assignments: Conduct a Review on Research Undertaken on Sports Massage/Soft Tissue Therapy and - Research and Critically Evaluate Complex Assessment Techniques.
You will also accumulate a portfolio of evidence of learning, a useful tool for later reference.
Candidates must hold a recognised Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage qualification. Photocopy evidence of this accreditation must accompany your application. Candidates must also have good health, since the course involves a practical component. A sporting background is advantageous as well.
Due to the amount of information covered in the course home studies of approximately five hours per week will be required.
Upon successful completion of this module, you will be awarded an ITEC Level 5 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy.
For more information about this course please contact the Short Courses team:
Tel: 020 8240 4321