About Research Media
Education and Employment
- PGCE RE: Manchester Metropolitan University, 2001 - 2002
- PHD Theology: Gregorian University, Rome, ‘Amicitia as Philosophical Foundation of the Eucharistic Theology of Thomas Aquinas’, 1991 - 1995
- MA Biblical Theology: Biblicum/Gregorian, Rome, Diss: ‘The Hermeneutics of Luke 12:49”, 1985 - 1987
- BA Theology & Philosophy: Gregorian University, Rome, 1981 - 1985
- BSc International Trade and Development: London School of Economics & Political Science, 1978 - 1981.
- Director: Aquinas Centre for Theological Literacy, 2013 - Present
- Head of School: Theology Philosophy & History, 2008 - 2012
- Programme Directorships: BA Theology 2007 - 2009, MA Theology 2006 - 2007, FD Healthcare Chaplaincy, 2005 - 2006 & 2011 - 2012, FD Youth Ministry 2008 -2011, FD Pastoral Ministry 2009 - 2012
- Assistant Editor: The Pastoral Review, London/Tablet, 2006 - Present
- Senior Lecturer in Theology: St. Mary’s University College, 2005 - Present
- Head of RE: Loreto College, Manchester, 2002 - 2004
- Student Services/Chaplaincy: Sheffield Hallam University, 1995 - 2001
- Lecturer: Ushaw College, Durham, 1998
- Lecturer: Oscott College, Birmingham, 1997
- In-Service Training Officer: Hallam Diocese, Sheffield, 1995 - 2001
- Academic Tutor: English College/Gregorian University, 1990 - 1994
- Chaplain: Rotherham District General, 1987 - 1990
- Chaplain: St Bede’s & St. Bernard’s, Rotherham, 1987 - 1990.
- MA Theology: Bible & Pastoral Theology, Ecclesiology
- MA Bioethics: Human Beings and Human Action.
- BA Theology: Seminars in Theological Methodology, Foundations in Biblical Studies, Pauline Christianity, Scripture in Contemporary Contexts Foundations in Christian Theology, Christology & Trinity, Ecclesiology
- BA Philosophy: Being and Action
- FD Healthcare Chaplaincy: The Human Person, The Human One (Christology)
- FD Youth Ministry & FD Pastoral Ministry: Biblical Foundations
- Short Courses: Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies, Old Testament, New Testament, Christology, Ecclesiology, Sacraments and Ethics
- KS3-4: RE, Balderstone School Rochdale and Rivington School, Horwich
- KS5: RE & AS/2: Religious Studies (OCR), Loreto College Manchester
- Aim Higher Summer Schools: Philosophical Hermeneutics.
- Loreto College: New Sixth Form Curriculum (2001 - 2002)
- St. Mary’s University: FD Healthcare Chaplaincy, Youth Ministry and Pastoral Ministry (2005 - 2008), Revalidations of MA Pastoral Theology, BA Theology, Design of Single Honours Philosophy (2008 - 2012).
School/ Sixth-Form Study Days (recent):
- Philosophy of Religion: St. Peters, Guildford, October 2016
- Faith of the Mind: Wimbledon College, June 2016
- Natural Law and Quirky Ethics: Loreto College, Manchester, December 2015
- Life as the Sum of our Choices: St. Mary’s University, January 2015
- Philosophy, Utilitarianism and Bioethics: Loreto College, Manchester, November 2014
- The Gospel of Mark: St. Joseph’s, Slough, October 2013.
CPD for Teachers (recent):
- A-Level Reform: Commonalities and Novelties, Westminster Heads of RE, Brighton, June 2016
- Imago Dei: London RE Hub, April 2016
- Christianity & RE: Panel Debate, London RE Hub, April 2016
- Year of Mercy & Faith Schools: INSET Conference, Weybridge, February 2016
- RE Reform: Principles & Perspectives, Southwark CPD, November 2015
- Theological Literacy & RE Reform: Westminster Province Headteachers & Governors, September 2015
- RE Reform: Principles & Perspectives, CREDO Days at St. Mary’s, Newman and Liverpool Hope Universities, June - July 2015
- RE Reform: Principles & Perspectives, Westminster Heads of RE, London, June 2015
- Theological Principles of a Catholic School: INSET Conference, Hereford, January 2015
- Faith Formation in Theory and Practice: Merton Headteacher’s Conference, June 2014
- Catechesis & Ethos of Catholic Schools: Putney Deanery INSET
- CCRS and Catholic Schools: Southwark Headteachers Conference, November 2013.
Supervised & Awarded (*= as Co-supervisor):
- PhD. ‘An Arendtian Analysis of H. Shipman’ (S. Hyer)*
- PhD. ‘Orality as Casualty: Bible, Colonialism & the Bemba Language’ (T. Mukuka)* Winter 2014
- M.Phil. ‘Efficacy of Catholic Political Lobbying in 20th Century’ (W. White) Winter 2013
- PhD. ‘The Faith Disposition of Head Teachers’ (C. Richardson) Summer 2012
- PhD. ‘Towards a Feminist Pedagogy of Desire’ (P. Cullen) Summer 2011*
- PhD. ‘John Paul II and the Hebrew Scriptures’ (M. Tower) Winter 2010
- PhD. ‘Ecclesial Understanding of the Permanent Diaconate’ (B. Stringer) Summer 2010.
Supervisions in Progress:
- PhD. ‘Origins & Theology of Faith Movement’ (J. Mersey)*
- M.Phil. ‘Ethics of Tube feeding’ & PVS (R. Gay)
- PhD. ‘Youth Ministry & Resilience’ (J. Cornwell)*
- Ph.D. ‘Newman and Certainty’ (P. McHugh)
- M.Phil. ‘Gender authority & complementarity’ (C. Joyce)
- PhD. ‘John of the Cross’ (T. Holland)
- M.Phil. ‘Laurentin & Mariology’ (Sr C. Jones).
- ‘The Life and Legacy of Eric Doyle OFM’ (B.Abbott) Lampeter University, 2015
- ‘Ethical Sex’ (A. McCarthy), 2014
- ‘Charism and Faith Schools’ (J. Lydon), 2012
- M.Phil ‘J. Vanier & L’Arche’ (K. Hall) Exeter University, 2012
- ‘Autonomy & Patristic Anthropology’ (P. Matthews), 2010
- ‘19th Century Apologetics: Ozanam, Jowett & Dölger’ (C. Dyzcek), 2008.
- RE Reform: Joint Co-ordinator with Dr. P. McGrail of CES/NBRIA Catholic Universities research project (St. Mary’s, Liverpool Hope, Newman University, Leeds Trinity, Heythrop College), 2016 - Present
- CCRS & Religious Literacy: Led by R.S. Buttle in partnership with Liverpool Hope/ CES/ NBRIA, 2016 - Present
- Visions for Educational Leadership: Theological Advisor (CES/ Heythrop), 2014 - 2015
- Human Dignity: Universal or Useless: Project Co-ordinator of St. Mary’s observatory team, CBET (Centre for Bioethics and Emerging Technologies), 2010 - 2013
- CCRS and Theological Literacy: St. Mary’s University, 2004 - 2006
- ‘Amicitia as Philosophical Foundation of the Eucharistic Theology of Thomas Aquinas’, 1990 - 1995.
Conference Hosting (recent):
- Theology of the Body, with L. Butau: Formators and Educators Conference, Strawberry Hill, April 2016
- RE Reform: CREDO Teachers Conference, Strawberry Hill, June 2015
- Church Credibility and Culture, Catholic Theological Association, Durham, September 2012
- Life and Love: with L. Butau: III International Theology of the Body Conference Strawberry Hill, June 2011
- Catholic Social Teaching, Catholic Theological Association, Strawberry Hill, September 2011.
Conference Presentations (recent):
- ‘Sensus Fidei in the Life of the Church’, Catholic Theological Association, September 2016
- ‘Catholicism & Credibility: The Challenge of Faith Formation’, Limerick Diocesan Synod, March 2016
- ‘Laudato Si’ or No?’, St. Mary’s Symposium on the Encyclical, November 2015
- ‘Let there be light or lunacy’ St. Mary’s Symposium on Science and Religion, June 2015
- ‘RE Reform: Challenge and Opportunity’: Vatican II and Catholic Education, Heythrop College, June 2015
- ‘Six Black Holes of Catechesis’, CES/NBRIA Board of Studies Biennial Conference, Hothorpe Hall, March 2014
- ‘Ecumenical Tectonics in Selected Documents of Vatican II’, Joint Commission on Doctrine Biennial Conference, Glasgow, March 2013
- Dignitatis Humanae. Vatican II: A Sure Compass, St. John’s Wonersh, September 2013
- ‘From Fear of Freedom to Freedom from Fear’ Fifty Years of Vatican II, Limerick, October 2012
- ‘Eyes to See: Religion as Recognition from Adam to Rousselot’ III Theology of the Body Conference, Strawberry Hill, June 2011
- ‘Benedict XVI, Heisenberg & the “Sensus Plenior”’ 400th Anniversary of KJV, Winchester University, 2011.
- Catholic Theological Association 1995 - Present
- European Society for Catholic Theology 2005 - Present
- American Academy of Religion 2005 - Present
- Society of Biblical Literature 2005 - Present.
- The New GCSE Religious Studies Course for Catholic Schools Vols I & II, (Ed.) Chawton: Redemptorist, 2016, 580pp
- Introduction to Christian Theology: Biblical, Classical Contemporary, London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2013, 560pp
- Amicitia as Philosophical Foundation in the Eucharistic Theology of Thomas Aquinas (Rome: PUG) 1995 , 200pp.
- The Eduqas GCSE Religious Studies Course for Catholic Schools, (Ed.) Chawton: Redemptorist, 2016, 400pp
- Philosophy of Religion and Ethics: Contemporary Christian Perspectives (Ed.) London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2017, 300pp
- Doctrine and Scripture: Contemporary Christian Perspectives (Ed.) London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2017, 300pp
- Catholicism: Guide for the Perplexed, London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2018, 300pp.
- ‘RE Reform: A Battle for the Soul of Catholic Education?’ The Pastoral Review, September 2016
- ‘Breaking the Word: Weekdays I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII – The Pastoral Review Dec 2013 - Nov 2015
- ‘Five Callings of the Catholic Teacher’ Le Chiele, December 2013
- ‘Dei Verbum: Fit for Purpose?’ New Blackfriars 90 (2009) 206-218
- ‘One Flew out of the Atheist’s Nest’: Philosophy, Science & Theology’, The Pastoral Review, January 2007
- ‘CCRS & Theological Literacy’, The Pastoral Review, January 2006
- ‘Breaking the Word: Sundays’, The Pastoral Review, May 2005.
- ‘Damascus and Pastoral Ministry’ in Hayes, M. In Praise of Paul, London: St. Paul, 2009.
- ‘Religious Education Reform in the Catholic Schools of England and Wales’ in Hayes, M. & Lydon, J. Contemporary Catholic Education: A Reader – Leominster: Gracewing, 2016
- ‘Jesus as Healer’ in Scott, P & Matthews, P. Hospital Chaplaincy. Leominster: Gracewing, 2017.
- Catholicism O’Collins, G. & Farrugia, M. (2014) and The Reluctant Disciple Wells, D. (2014) in Pastoral Review, March 2015
- Evidence & Transcendence (Inman), Pastoral Review, January 2009
- Watchmen Raise their Voices (Boland), Pastoral Review September 2006
- Intelligent Person’s Guide to Christian Ethics (McCoy) & Bad, Mad or God? (Redford) Pastoral Review, September 2005.
- ARC Website – ‘Aquinas Resource and Conferencing’ www.aquinas.org.uk
- Life in Christ Ed. North, K. & Toryusen J. YouCat DVD resource www.scys.org.uk/lifeinchrist
- ‘RE: Reformed or Deformed?’ The Tablet, August 2016
- ‘What you Believe is what your Life is’, Church Times, February 2016
- ‘This Bird has Flown’ on A.G. Flew in Kairos, Melbourne, July 2010 & The Catholic Herald, London, August 2010.
- RE Council UK: Appointment as Expert Advisor to Independent Commission on RE, June 2016
- Ofqual: Government RE Subject Knowledge, External Expert, 2016
- APPG on Religious Literacy: Participant contributor, 2016
- DfE via CREDO: ‘Catholic Religious Education Development Opportunities’, A-Level/GCSE Consultation, 2014 - 2015
- Cambridge-Leuven Initiative: Ethics and Public Policy in the EU, 2014 - 2015.
Public Examination Boards:
- AQA: Syllabus & Assessment Designer, GCSE RS, 2015 - 2016
- OCR: Examiner/Team Leader, A-Level RS – 2002 - 2006
- Edexcel: Examiner, GCSE RS, 2001 - 2002.
- Chief Examiner for Humanities Cluster, Newman University, 2014 - 2016
- Institutional Review, Humanities Programmes, Leeds Trinity University, 2013
- Institutional Review, Migration to 20 Credit system, Newman University, 2013
- Examiner for TRS, Newman University, 2012 - 2016
- Examiner for TRS, Heythrop College, 2008 - 2011
- TRS Re-Validation Panel, Cumbria University, 2008
- External Moderator, FD Mission and Ministry, Wesley College, Bristol, 2008 - 2011
- TRS UK Heads, Member, 2008 - Present
- External Moderator for University of Surrey at St. John’s Seminary, Wonersh, 2006 - 2012.
Ecclesial Policy & Praxis:
- CREDO - ‘Catholic Religious Education Development Opportunities’, Chaired by CES/ NBRIA, Founder Member
- CES: Theological Secondment for RE Reform, Jan - Aug 2015
- Jonah and Judith, Vicars for Religious National Conference, Leeds, October 2015
- Scripture in Seminary, Wonersh, February 2014
- Mindfulness and Ministry, International Diaconate Conference, London, June 2011
- Chaplain as Itinerant Referent, Westminster Hospitals, November 2010
- Theological Anthropology and Chaplaincy Ethics, Combined Forces Chaplaincy, Amport, 2008.
Pastoral Formation (selected):
- Dei Verbum: Why Catholics can’t be Fundamentalists, Celebrate Conference, Twickenham, June 2015
- Theology & the Liturgy of Life Study Day, East Molesey, May 2015
- Catholicism through the prism of Eucharist, Clear Voices Festival of Theology, Buckfast, June 2014
- Introducing Theology: Conviction, Conversation & Thinking Differently, Milton Keynes, June 2014
- Love is the Measure, High Melton College, July 2013
- Dei Verbum, Study Group, Ealing Abbey, November 2012
- Bible & Eucharist: Study Day, East Molesey, December 2011
- Nomad as Normal: Biblical Perspectives on Migrants & Asylum Seekers, Christian Education Centre, Tooting Bec, April 2010
- Paul & Ecumenism, Association of Interfaith Families, London, March 2009
- Paul: Companion in Conflict, Ecumenical Study Day, Portsmouth Cathedral, November 2008
- Eucharist, Sacrifice and Judgement, Theology on Tap, London, July 2008
- Rejoice! Diocesan Millennium Event, Sheffield Arena, October 2000.
In the news
St Mary’s University has formed an interdisciplinary group to study the ‘Laudato Si’ encyclical and to prepare for a conference at the end of the year. Find out more...
St Mary’s University, Twickenham recently welcomed leading theologians and academics to campus for the Catholic Theological Association 2014 conference Find out more...
The Aquinas Centre at St Mary’s University, Twickenham is to host an event on Tuesday 1st April exploring the work of G K Chesterton and C S Lewis. Find out more...
The Aquinas Centre at St Mary’s University College, Twickenham is launching two new staff publications from Dr Anthony Towey and Dr Stephen Bullivant. Find out more...
For media enquiries, please contact our Communications and Public Engagement Manager, Sam Yarnold, by emailling email@example.com or calling 020 8240 8262.