Dr Anthony Towey
Director - Aquinas Centre
Education and Employment
- PGCE RE: Manchester Metropolitan University, 2001 - 2002
- PHD Theology: Gregorian University, Rome, ‘Amicitia as Philosophical Foundation of the Eucharistic Theology of Thomas Aquinas’, 1991 - 1995
- MA Biblical Theology: Biblicum/Gregorian, Rome, Diss: ‘The Hermeneutics of Luke 12:49”, 1985 - 1987
- BA Theology & Philosophy: Gregorian University, Rome, 1981 - 1985
- BSc International Trade and Development: London School of Economics & Political Science, 1978 - 1981.
- Director: Aquinas Centre for Theological Literacy, 2013 - Present
- Head of School: Theology Philosophy & History, 2008 - 2012
- Programme Directorships: BA Theology 2007 - 2009, MA Theology 2006 - 2007, FD Healthcare Chaplaincy, 2005 - 2006 & 2011 - 2012, FD Youth Ministry 2008 -2011, FD Pastoral Ministry 2009 - 2012
- Assistant Editor: The Pastoral Review, London/Tablet, 2006 - Present
- Senior Lecturer in Theology: St. Mary’s University College, 2005 - Present
- Head of RE: Loreto College, Manchester, 2002 - 2004
- Student Services/Chaplaincy: Sheffield Hallam University, 1995 - 2001
- Lecturer: Ushaw College, Durham, 1998
- Lecturer: Oscott College, Birmingham, 1997
- In-Service Training Officer: Hallam Diocese, Sheffield, 1995 - 2001
- Academic Tutor: English College/Gregorian University, 1990 - 1994
- Chaplain: Rotherham District General, 1987 - 1990
- Chaplain: St Bede’s & St. Bernard’s, Rotherham, 1987 - 1990.
- MA Theology: Bible & Pastoral Theology, Ecclesiology
- MA Bioethics: Human Beings and Human Action.
- BA Theology: Seminars in Theological Methodology, Foundations in Biblical Studies, Pauline Christianity, Scripture in Contemporary Contexts Foundations in Christian Theology, Christology & Trinity, Ecclesiology
- BA Philosophy: Being and Action
- FD Healthcare Chaplaincy: The Human Person, The Human One (Christology)
- FD Youth Ministry & FD Pastoral Ministry: Biblical Foundations
- Short Courses: Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies, Old Testament, New Testament, Christology, Ecclesiology, Sacraments and Ethics
- KS3-4: RE, Balderstone School Rochdale and Rivington School, Horwich
- KS5: RE & AS/2: Religious Studies (OCR), Loreto College Manchester
- Aim Higher Summer Schools: Philosophical Hermeneutics.
- Loreto College: New Sixth Form Curriculum (2001 - 2002)
- St. Mary’s University: FD Healthcare Chaplaincy, Youth Ministry and Pastoral Ministry (2005 - 2008), Revalidations of MA Pastoral Theology, BA Theology, Design of Single Honours Philosophy (2008 - 2012).
School/ Sixth-Form Study Days (recent):
- Philosophy of Religion: St. Peters, Guildford, October 2016
- Faith of the Mind: Wimbledon College, June 2016
- Natural Law and Quirky Ethics: Loreto College, Manchester, December 2015
- Life as the Sum of our Choices: St. Mary’s University, January 2015
- Philosophy, Utilitarianism and Bioethics: Loreto College, Manchester, November 2014
- The Gospel of Mark: St. Joseph’s, Slough, October 2013.
CPD for Teachers (recent):
- A-Level Reform: Commonalities and Novelties, Westminster Heads of RE, Brighton, June 2016
- Imago Dei: London RE Hub, April 2016
- Christianity & RE: Panel Debate, London RE Hub, April 2016
- Year of Mercy & Faith Schools: INSET Conference, Weybridge, February 2016
- RE Reform: Principles & Perspectives, Southwark CPD, November 2015
- Theological Literacy & RE Reform: Westminster Province Headteachers & Governors, September 2015
- RE Reform: Principles & Perspectives, CREDO Days at St. Mary’s, Newman and Liverpool Hope Universities, June - July 2015
- RE Reform: Principles & Perspectives, Westminster Heads of RE, London, June 2015
- Theological Principles of a Catholic School: INSET Conference, Hereford, January 2015
- Faith Formation in Theory and Practice: Merton Headteacher’s Conference, June 2014
- Catechesis & Ethos of Catholic Schools: Putney Deanery INSET
- CCRS and Catholic Schools: Southwark Headteachers Conference, November 2013.
Supervised & Awarded (*= as Co-supervisor):
- PhD. ‘An Arendtian Analysis of H. Shipman’ (S. Hyer)*
- PhD. ‘Orality as Casualty: Bible, Colonialism & the Bemba Language’ (T. Mukuka)* Winter 2014
- M.Phil. ‘Efficacy of Catholic Political Lobbying in 20th Century’ (W. White) Winter 2013
- PhD. ‘The Faith Disposition of Head Teachers’ (C. Richardson) Summer 2012
- PhD. ‘Towards a Feminist Pedagogy of Desire’ (P. Cullen) Summer 2011*
- PhD. ‘John Paul II and the Hebrew Scriptures’ (M. Tower) Winter 2010
- PhD. ‘Ecclesial Understanding of the Permanent Diaconate’ (B. Stringer) Summer 2010.
Supervisions in Progress:
- PhD. ‘Origins & Theology of Faith Movement’ (J. Mersey)*
- M.Phil. ‘Ethics of Tube feeding’ & PVS (R. Gay)
- PhD. ‘Youth Ministry & Resilience’ (J. Cornwell)*
- Ph.D. ‘Newman and Certainty’ (P. McHugh)
- M.Phil. ‘Gender authority & complementarity’ (C. Joyce)
- PhD. ‘John of the Cross’ (T. Holland)
- M.Phil. ‘Laurentin & Mariology’ (Sr C. Jones).
- ‘The Life and Legacy of Eric Doyle OFM’ (B.Abbott) Lampeter University, 2015
- ‘Ethical Sex’ (A. McCarthy), 2014
- ‘Charism and Faith Schools’ (J. Lydon), 2012
- M.Phil ‘J. Vanier & L’Arche’ (K. Hall) Exeter University, 2012
- ‘Autonomy & Patristic Anthropology’ (P. Matthews), 2010
- ‘19th Century Apologetics: Ozanam, Jowett & Dölger’ (C. Dyzcek), 2008.
- RE Reform: Joint Co-ordinator with Dr. P. McGrail of CES/NBRIA Catholic Universities research project (St. Mary’s, Liverpool Hope, Newman University, Leeds Trinity, Heythrop College), 2016 - Present
- CCRS & Religious Literacy: Led by R.S. Buttle in partnership with Liverpool Hope/ CES/ NBRIA, 2016 - Present
- Visions for Educational Leadership: Theological Advisor (CES/ Heythrop), 2014 - 2015
- Human Dignity: Universal or Useless: Project Co-ordinator of St. Mary’s observatory team, CBET (Centre for Bioethics and Emerging Technologies), 2010 - 2013
- CCRS and Theological Literacy: St. Mary’s University, 2004 - 2006
- ‘Amicitia as Philosophical Foundation of the Eucharistic Theology of Thomas Aquinas’, 1990 - 1995.
Conference Hosting (recent):
- Theology of the Body, with L. Butau: Formators and Educators Conference, Strawberry Hill, April 2016
- RE Reform: CREDO Teachers Conference, Strawberry Hill, June 2015
- Church Credibility and Culture, Catholic Theological Association, Durham, September 2012
- Life and Love: with L. Butau: III International Theology of the Body Conference Strawberry Hill, June 2011
- Catholic Social Teaching, Catholic Theological Association, Strawberry Hill, September 2011.
Conference Presentations (recent):
- ‘Sensus Fidei in the Life of the Church’, Catholic Theological Association, September 2016
- ‘Catholicism & Credibility: The Challenge of Faith Formation’, Limerick Diocesan Synod, March 2016
- ‘Laudato Si’ or No?’, St. Mary’s Symposium on the Encyclical, November 2015
- ‘Let there be light or lunacy’ St. Mary’s Symposium on Science and Religion, June 2015
- ‘RE Reform: Challenge and Opportunity’: Vatican II and Catholic Education, Heythrop College, June 2015
- ‘Six Black Holes of Catechesis’, CES/NBRIA Board of Studies Biennial Conference, Hothorpe Hall, March 2014
- ‘Ecumenical Tectonics in Selected Documents of Vatican II’, Joint Commission on Doctrine Biennial Conference, Glasgow, March 2013
- Dignitatis Humanae. Vatican II: A Sure Compass, St. John’s Wonersh, September 2013
- ‘From Fear of Freedom to Freedom from Fear’ Fifty Years of Vatican II, Limerick, October 2012
- ‘Eyes to See: Religion as Recognition from Adam to Rousselot’ III Theology of the Body Conference, Strawberry Hill, June 2011
- ‘Benedict XVI, Heisenberg & the “Sensus Plenior”’ 400th Anniversary of KJV, Winchester University, 2011.
- Catholic Theological Association 1995 - Present
- European Society for Catholic Theology 2005 - Present
- American Academy of Religion 2005 - Present
- Society of Biblical Literature 2005 - Present.
- The New GCSE Religious Studies Course for Catholic Schools Vols I & II, (Ed.) Chawton: Redemptorist, 2016, 580pp
- Introduction to Christian Theology: Biblical, Classical Contemporary, London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2013, 560pp
- Amicitia as Philosophical Foundation in the Eucharistic Theology of Thomas Aquinas (Rome: PUG) 1995 , 200pp.
- The Eduqas GCSE Religious Studies Course for Catholic Schools, (Ed.) Chawton: Redemptorist, 2016, 400pp
- Philosophy of Religion and Ethics: Contemporary Christian Perspectives (Ed.) London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2017, 300pp
- Doctrine and Scripture: Contemporary Christian Perspectives (Ed.) London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2017, 300pp
- Catholicism: Guide for the Perplexed, London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2018, 300pp.
- ‘RE Reform: A Battle for the Soul of Catholic Education?’ The Pastoral Review, September 2016
- ‘Breaking the Word: Weekdays I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII – The Pastoral Review Dec 2013 - Nov 2015
- ‘Five Callings of the Catholic Teacher’ Le Chiele, December 2013
- ‘Dei Verbum: Fit for Purpose?’ New Blackfriars 90 (2009) 206-218
- ‘One Flew out of the Atheist’s Nest’: Philosophy, Science & Theology’, The Pastoral Review, January 2007
- ‘CCRS & Theological Literacy’, The Pastoral Review, January 2006
- ‘Breaking the Word: Sundays’, The Pastoral Review, May 2005.
- ‘Damascus and Pastoral Ministry’ in Hayes, M. In Praise of Paul, London: St. Paul, 2009.
- ‘Religious Education Reform in the Catholic Schools of England and Wales’ in Hayes, M. & Lydon, J. Contemporary Catholic Education: A Reader – Leominster: Gracewing, 2016
- ‘Jesus as Healer’ in Scott, P & Matthews, P. Hospital Chaplaincy. Leominster: Gracewing, 2017.
- Catholicism O’Collins, G. & Farrugia, M. (2014) and The Reluctant Disciple Wells, D. (2014) in Pastoral Review, March 2015
- Evidence & Transcendence (Inman), Pastoral Review, January 2009
- Watchmen Raise their Voices (Boland), Pastoral Review September 2006
- Intelligent Person’s Guide to Christian Ethics (McCoy) & Bad, Mad or God? (Redford) Pastoral Review, September 2005.
- ARC Website – ‘Aquinas Resource and Conferencing’ www.aquinas.org.uk
- Life in Christ Ed. North, K. & Toryusen J. YouCat DVD resource www.scys.org.uk/lifeinchrist
- ‘RE: Reformed or Deformed?’ The Tablet, August 2016
- ‘What you Believe is what your Life is’, Church Times, February 2016
- ‘This Bird has Flown’ on A.G. Flew in Kairos, Melbourne, July 2010 & The Catholic Herald, London, August 2010.
- RE Council UK: Appointment as Expert Advisor to Independent Commission on RE, June 2016
- Ofqual: Government RE Subject Knowledge, External Expert, 2016
- APPG on Religious Literacy: Participant contributor, 2016
- DfE via CREDO: ‘Catholic Religious Education Development Opportunities’, A-Level/GCSE Consultation, 2014 - 2015
- Cambridge-Leuven Initiative: Ethics and Public Policy in the EU, 2014 - 2015.
Public Examination Boards:
- AQA: Syllabus & Assessment Designer, GCSE RS, 2015 - 2016
- OCR: Examiner/Team Leader, A-Level RS – 2002 - 2006
- Edexcel: Examiner, GCSE RS, 2001 - 2002.
- Chief Examiner for Humanities Cluster, Newman University, 2014 - 2016
- Institutional Review, Humanities Programmes, Leeds Trinity University, 2013
- Institutional Review, Migration to 20 Credit system, Newman University, 2013
- Examiner for TRS, Newman University, 2012 - 2016
- Examiner for TRS, Heythrop College, 2008 - 2011
- TRS Re-Validation Panel, Cumbria University, 2008
- External Moderator, FD Mission and Ministry, Wesley College, Bristol, 2008 - 2011
- TRS UK Heads, Member, 2008 - Present
- External Moderator for University of Surrey at St. John’s Seminary, Wonersh, 2006 - 2012.
Ecclesial Policy & Praxis:
- CREDO - ‘Catholic Religious Education Development Opportunities’, Chaired by CES/ NBRIA, Founder Member
- CES: Theological Secondment for RE Reform, Jan - Aug 2015
- Jonah and Judith, Vicars for Religious National Conference, Leeds, October 2015
- Scripture in Seminary, Wonersh, February 2014
- Mindfulness and Ministry, International Diaconate Conference, London, June 2011
- Chaplain as Itinerant Referent, Westminster Hospitals, November 2010
- Theological Anthropology and Chaplaincy Ethics, Combined Forces Chaplaincy, Amport, 2008.
Pastoral Formation (selected):
- Dei Verbum: Why Catholics can’t be Fundamentalists, Celebrate Conference, Twickenham, June 2015
- Theology & the Liturgy of Life Study Day, East Molesey, May 2015
- Catholicism through the prism of Eucharist, Clear Voices Festival of Theology, Buckfast, June 2014
- Introducing Theology: Conviction, Conversation & Thinking Differently, Milton Keynes, June 2014
- Love is the Measure, High Melton College, July 2013
- Dei Verbum, Study Group, Ealing Abbey, November 2012
- Bible & Eucharist: Study Day, East Molesey, December 2011
- Nomad as Normal: Biblical Perspectives on Migrants & Asylum Seekers, Christian Education Centre, Tooting Bec, April 2010
- Paul & Ecumenism, Association of Interfaith Families, London, March 2009
- Paul: Companion in Conflict, Ecumenical Study Day, Portsmouth Cathedral, November 2008
- Eucharist, Sacrifice and Judgement, Theology on Tap, London, July 2008
- Rejoice! Diocesan Millennium Event, Sheffield Arena, October 2000.