Programme Director - Business Management
Eleni is a Senior Lecturer in Business Management and holds a BSc in Mathematics (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece), an MSc in Finance with distinction (Abertay University, UK) and in 2015 she was awarded her Doctorate in Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour with no corrections from the same institution. Her thesis investigated and proposed an integrated theoretical model on the relationship among strategic decision-making process, organisational change and employees’ responses towards change in Greek banks within the challenging context of the economic crisis.
She joined St Mary’s University as a Lecturer in Business and Management in September 2015, having previously taught at Abertay University. He teaching portfolio includes:
- Organisational Behaviour
- Human Resource Management
- Management Consultancy Project
- Management of Organisational Change
- Dissertation (Research Project)
Eleni is also a Research Project Supervisor both at an undergraduate and postgraduate level and holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Academic Practice.
Eleni's research interests lie in the areas of:
- Organisational Behaviour
- Human Resource Management
- Change Management
- Business Models and Strategy
- Information Management
- Management Education / Education Management
She welcomes enquiries for Research Supervision in the areas of Organisational Behaviour and Human Resource Management. She currently supervises two PhD students.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Aravopoulou, E. 2015. Experiencing organisational change in Greece: the impact of psychological contract, job satisfaction and organisational commitment on employees' EVLN behaviour.The Business & Management Review, 6(3), pp. 131-159.
- Aravopoulou, E. 2015. Organisational change: A conceptual and theoretical review. Modern Management Systems, 10(1), pp. 19-32.
- Aravopoulou, E. and Malone, C. 2016. An examination of the strategic decision-making when organisational changes are introduced. The Business and Management Review, 7(5), pp, 31- 60.
- Mitsakis, F. and Aravopoulou, E. 2016. The impact of the economic crisis upon Human Resource Development (HRD): Evidence from two Greek banks. International Journal of HRD Practice, Policy and Research, 1(2), pp. 67-82.
- Spero, I., Stone, M. and Aravopoulou, 2017. Multiple Helices as Agents of Change? The Case of the Neighbourhoods of the Future Project and the Development of Direction for Policy and Practice on Health, Happiness and Wellbeing for the next Generation of Older Adults.Management Dynamics in the Knowledge Economy, 5(1), pp. 97-117.
- Parnell, B. D., Stott, R., Stone, M., Aravopoulou, E., and Timms, L. 2017. Business model innovation, strategic information and the role of analyst firms. The Bottom Line, 30(2), pp. 151-162.
- Aravopoulou, E., Mitsakis, F. and Malone, C. A critical review of the Exit-Voice- Loyalty-Neglect literature: limitations, key challenges and directions for future research. The International Journal of Management, 6(3), pp.1-10.
- Aravopoulou, E., Stone, M. and Weinzierl, L. 2017. Modernising the curriculum and pedagogy – to be or not to be? Using film and online video to engage students and enhance learning. International Journal of Higher Education Management, 4(1), 1-18.
- Stone, M., Aravopoulou, E., Girardi, G., Todeva, E., Weinzierl, L., Laughlin, P., and Stott, R. 2017. How platforms are transforming customer information management. The Bottom Line, 30(4), pp. 216-235.
- Aldhaen, E., Stone, M, and Aravopoulou, E. 2018. The role of qualification frameworks in assuring appropriate selection of assessment methods for quality learning. International Journal of Higher Education Management, 4(2), pp. 24-33.
- Stone, M. and Aravopoulou, E. 2018. Improving journeys by opening data: The case of Transport for London (TfL). The Bottom Line, 31(1), pp. 2-15.
- Aravopoulou, E., Branine, M., Stone, M., Mitsakis, F. and Paul, G. 2018. Strategic decision-making process (SDMP) in times of crisis: Evidence from Greek banks. Journal of Business and Retail Management Research, 12(4), pp. 26-36.
- Parnell, B. D., Stone, M. and Aravopoulou, E. 2018. How leaders manage their business models using information. The Bottom Line, 31(2), pp.150-167.
- Hughes, T., Stone, M., Aravopoulou, E., Wright, L.T. and Machtynger, L. 2018. Academic research into marketing: Many publications, but little impact? Cogent Business & Management, 5(1), pp.1-18.
- Stone, M., Knapper, J., Evans, G. and Aravopoulou, E. 2018. Information management in the smart city. The Bottom Line, 31(3/4), pp.234-249.
- Kolding, M., Sundblad, M., Alexa, J., Stone,M., Aravopoulou, E. and Evans, G. 2018. Information management – a skills gap? The Bottom Line, 31(3/4), pp.170-190.
- Stone, M., Aravopoulou, E., Eldhaen, E., Evans, G. and Parnell, B.2018. From information mismanagement to misinformation – the dark side of information management. The Bottom Line: DOI 10.1108/BL-09-2018-0043
- Wright, L.T., Robin, R., Stone, M. and Aravopoulou, E. 2018. Adoption of Big Data Technology for Innovation in B2B Marketing. Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing. (Accepted for publication)
- Aravopoulou, E. 2016. Applying theory into practice: A model for developing students’ managerial skills. Professional Practice in Higher Education Teaching, Volume 5, ed. Watson, M., Scotland: Abertay University Press.
- Alamri, M., Stone, M., Aravopoulou, E., Weinzierl, L., Calvini, G. and Maheswaran, L. 2019. Avoiding hidden inequalities in challenging times: can talent management help? Book chapter for Inequality and Organizational Practice Volume, I: Work and Welfare, eds. Dr Stefanos Nachmias and Dr Valerie Caven (Accepted for publication)
- Nachmias, S., Aravopoulou, E. and Caven, V. Diversity and Equality issues in modern organisations. Book chapter for Inequality and Organizational Practice Inequality and Organizational Practice, Volume II: Employment Relations, eds. Dr Stefanos Nachmias and Dr Valerie Caven (Accepted for publication)
Selected Conference Papers:
Eleni actively participates and presents her research papers in several OB and HR related conferences in the UK and Europe (including UFHRD 2014 Edinburgh, IACP 2014 Paris, UFHRD 2015 Cork, IACR 2015 Rome, UFHRD 2016 Manchester, ROGE 2016 Oxford, E-Marketing SIG symposium 2017 London, UFHRD 2017 Lisbon, LSECC 2017 London, UFHRD 2018).
She is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) and the Royal Statistical Society (RSS), and Academic Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), Member of the British Academy of Management (BAM) and Associate member of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). She also serves as an external examiner in various undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the UK and is a reviewer to peer-reviewed journals for SAGE Publications, Emerald Publishing and other academic journals.