Dr Linda Saunders
Senior Lecturer - Master's in Education and EdD
Linda is a senior lecturer in primary English. She teaches on the Educational Doctorate and on the MA courses in Pedagogy and Leading Innovation and Change. She is a PhD and Ed Doc supervisor. Her initial work in ITT began in 2000, as the first English tutor for the Primary Catholic Partnership SCITT in Southampton.
Linda taught for 26 years in special and mainstream primary schools. She has been a primary class teacher, leading literacy teacher, primary deputy head teacher and advisory support teacher for special educational needs. She has studied and taught at the University of Waikato in New Zealand.
A specialist in the assessment of primary English, Linda continues to combine university-based work with secondary and primary school inset training and long-term school consultancy contracts.
Professional / Academic Qualifications:
- PhD. Aliteracy in the young adolescent: An investigation of reading preferences, selection techniques and motivations for recreational reading
- M.Ed. Assessment and Learning/ Specific Learning Difficulties/ Research Methods in Education
- B.Ed. Education of Children with Severe Learning Difficulties/ Primary Education
Journal review work:
- Reflect Ed: School of Education, St Mary’s University
- Reading motivation
- Reading selection strategies
- Achievement motivation
Presentations and publications:
- Saunders. L.C. (2016). A cross-phase investigation into the construct validity of tools for the measurement of reading motivation and engagement in 11–14 year old pupils. Paper presented at the Finra |3rd Baltic Sea Conference/ 17th Nordic Literacy Conference, Turku/˚Abo, Finland
- Saunders. L.C. (2016). Measuring reading motivation and engagement in 11-14 year old pupils: An investigation of existing methods in diverse school settings. Paper presented at the International Conference of the United Kingdom Literacy Association, Bristol, United Kingdom
- Saunders, L (2015) Progression in Primary English London: Sage
- Tulloch, Cullen, Jones, Saunders, Turner (2012) Primary English across the curriculum, Learning Matters/Sage
- Saunders, L.C. (2011). Empowering aliterate adolescents to engage with personal reading. Paper and article presented at the International Conference of the United Kingdom Literacy Association, University of Chester, United Kingdom
- Saunders, L .C. (2010). Addressing the international issue of aliteracy from a New Zealand perspective. Paper presented at the International Reading Association World Reading Conference, Auckland, New Zealand
- Saunders, L.C. (2009). The book selection strategies of young adolescents: An investigation of reading preferences and selection techniques for recreational reading. Paper presented at the Arts and Language Educational Research Forum, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand