About Research Media
Nick is a Chartered Physiotherapist and Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and a Senior Lecturer in Sport Rehabilitation at St Mary’s University. Nick has more than 15 years of clinical experience in the U.K. including work at the Royal Free Hospital NHS Trust, Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, Saracens Rugby Union Football Club, and private practice. He has also worked for the British Army, including being a Clinical Specialist with the Parachute Regiment and a Consultant Physiotherapist redesigning the Physiotherapy Outpatients service for the Infantry and Armoured Regiments. His higher education experience includes undergraduate and post-graduate lecturing and external examining at several universities in the U.K. and U.S. including University College London, King’s College London, Middlesex University, and the University of Pittsburgh.
Nick’s research experience also extends over 15 years and includes studies in sports medicine and military contexts. In sports medicine, Nick’s area of expertise is the knee with an emphasis on anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury prevention and rehabilitation. In a military context, he has been involved in injury prevention and performance optimisation research with U.S. Special Operations Forces. Nick is Manuscript Reviewer for Physical Therapy in Sport, The Knee, the International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, the Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, and Manual Therapy. He has also been invited to fulfil roles as a Research Grant Reviewer for the Physiotherapy Research Foundation, a Visiting Lecturer to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), and a Clinical Supervisor and Clinical Examiner for the Musculoskeletal Association of Chartered Physiotherapists (MACP).
Areas of Expertise: Lower limb, knee
- Sensorimotor control of joint stability (proprioception, neuromuscular control)
- Injury control process (risk factors for and predictors of injury, design and validation of interventions)
- Clinical reasoning in athlete assessment, manual therapy selection, exercise selection and progression, and return-to-play decision-making
- Quantitative study design and data collection methods (proprioception, muscle performance, kinematics, kinetics, electromyography, postural stability, functional (hop) testing)
- Sell T.C., Clark N.C., Wood D.E., Abt J.P., Lovalekar M., Lephart S.M. (2014) Single-Leg Balance Impairments Persist in Fully Operational Military Special Forces Operators with a Previous History of Low Back Pain. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. 2, 5, Open Access 2325967114532780.
- Nagai T., Abt J.P., Sell T.C., Clark N.C., Smalley B.W., Wirt M.D., Lephart S.M. (2014) Neck Proprioception, Strength, Flexibility, and Posture in U.S. Army Pilots with and without Neck Pain History. Aviation, Space, Environmental Medicine. 85, 5, 529-535.
- Akins J.S., Longo P.F., Bertoni M., Clark N.C., Sell T.C., Galanti G., Lephart S.M. (2012) Postural Stability and Isokinetic Strength Do Not Predict Knee Valgus Angle During Single-Leg Drop-Landing or Single-Leg Squat in Elite Male Rugby Union Players. Isokinetics and Exercise Science. 21, 1, 37-46.
- Hooper D.M., Morrissey M.C., Drechsler, W.I., Clark N.C., Coutts F.J., McAuliffe T.B. (2002) Gait Analysis Six and Twelve Months Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Surgery. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 403,168-178.
- Clark N.C., Gumbrell C.J., Rana S., Traole C.M., Morrissey M.C. (2002) Intratester Reliability and Measurement Error of the Adapted Crossover Hop for Distance. Physical Therapy in Sport. 3, 143-151.
- Clark N.C. (2001) Functional Performance Testing Following Knee Ligament Injury. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2, 91-105.
- Clark N.C., Keenan K.A., Abt J.P., Sell T.C., Nagai T., Deluzio J.B., Lovalekar, M., McCord L.J., Wirt M.D., Lephart S.M. (2012) Clinically Significant Side-to-Side Lower Extremity Strength Asymmetries in U.S. Army 101st Airborne Soldiers. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 44, 5, S375.
- Clark N.C., Gumbrell C.J., Rana S., Traole C.M., Morrissey M.C. (2001) The Relationship Between Vertical Hop Performance and Isotonic Open and Closed Kinetic Chain Muscle Strength of the Lower Limb. Journal of Sports Sciences. 19, 18-19.
- Nagai T., Clark N.C., Abt J.P., Sell T.C., Heebner N.R., Smalley B.W., Wirt M.D., Lephart S.M. (2014) The Effect of Target Position on the Accuracy of Cervical Spine Rotation Active Joint Position Sense in U.S. Army Soldiers. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting. June 25-28, 2014. Indianapolis, Indiana, US.
- Sell T.C., Clark N.C., Abt J., Lovalekar M., Lephart S.M. (2013) Fully Operational U.S. Navy SEALs with a Past History of Musculoskeletal Injury Demonstrate Clinically Important Impairments in Knee and Shoulder Muscle Performance and Single-Leg Balance. International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) 9th Biennial Congress. May 12-16, 2013. Toronto, Canada.
- Nagai T., Abt J.P, Sell T.C., Clark N.C., Smalley B.W., Wirt M.D., Lephart S.M. (2013) Neck Strength, Flexibility, Posture, and Proprioception in U.S. Army Pilots with and without a History of Neck Pain. Aerospace Medical Association Annual Meeting. May 12-16, 2013. Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
- Sell T.C., Clark N.C., Abt J.P., Lovalekar M., Lephart S.M. (2013) Single-Leg Balance Impairments Persist in Fully Operational Military Special Forces Operators with a Previous History of Low Back Pain. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Specialty Day. March 23, 2013. Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
- Clark N.C., Keenan K.A., Abt J.P., Sell T.C., Nagai T., Deluzio J.B., Lovalekar M., McCord L.J., Wirt M.D., Lephart S.M. (2012) Clinically Significant Side-to-Side Lower Extremity Strength Asymmetries in U.S. Army 101st Airborne Soldiers. 59th Annual Meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine. May 29 - June 2, 2012. San Francisco, California, U.S.
- Clark N.C. (2005) Relationship Between Active Hamstring Stretch Reflex Latency and Functional Knee Stability. Manipulation Association of Chartered Physiotherapists Original Research Presentation Award. 2nd International Conference on Movement Dysfunction. September 23-25, 2005. Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.
- Clark N.C., Gumbrell C.J., Rana S., Traole C.M., Morrissey M.C. (2000) Relationship Between Vertical Hop Performance and Isotonic Open and Closed Kinetic Chain Muscle Strength of the Lower Limb. British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences Annual Conference. August 29 - September 1, Liverpool, England, U.K.
- Clark N.C., Lephart S.M. (2014) Management of the Sensorimotor System: The Lower Limb. In- Grieve’s Modern Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy. 4th Edition. (Ed- G. Jull, A. Moore, D. Falla, J. Lewis, C. McCarthy, M. Sterling). Elsevier. London, UK.
- Clark N.C., Herrington L. (2010) The Knee. In- Sports Rehabilitation and Injury Prevention. (Ed- P. Comfort, E. Abrahamson). Wiley Publishers. Chichester. UK.
In the news
St Mary’s University, Twickenham recently hosted a professional development event for its staff, students and sports industry partners. Find out more...
For media enquiries, please contact our Communications and Public Engagement Manager, Sam Yarnold, by emailling email@example.com or calling 020 8240 8262.