Roberto is a Senior Lecturer in Law at St Mary’s University, where he teaches on the LLB and LLM programmes. Before joining St Mary’s University, Roberto was a partner in a major international law firm. He is an advocate lawyer qualified in two foreign jurisdictions and has extensive experience as a practitioner in the field of international arbitration.
Roberto graduated from the Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and specialised in public international law at the University of Vienna, Austria. He also holds an LLM in International Dispute Resolution and Management from the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy – CEPMLP of the University of Dundee; and a PhD from the Queen Mary, University of London.
Roberto previously taught on the LLB programme of the FGV School of Law in Rio de Janeiro; on the LLB and LLM programmes of the Middlesex University; and on the online LLM programme of the University of Essex.
Roberto’s research interests focus on the international law on the protection of foreign investments and the mechanisms for the settlement of disputes between foreign investors and States, especially arbitration under the auspices of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
- The Notion of Investment and Economic Development under the ICSID Convention, in ICSID Convention after 50 Years: Unsettled Issues (2017).
- A Anulação das Sentenças Arbitrais “Incompletas” e a Sentença Arbitral Complementar [The Annulment of “Uncomplete” Arbitral Awards and the Supplementary Arbitral Award], in A Reforma da Arbitragem (2016).
- The Investment Requirement of the ICSID Convention and the Role of Investment Treaties, 26(3) American Review of International Arbitration (2015).
- Brazil: arbitration law reloaded (coauthored with Dr Mark C. Hilgard and Ana Elisa Bruder), Financier Worldwide (August 2015).
- Amendments to the Brazilian Arbitration Law: Supplementary Arbitral Awards and Excess of Power, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (19 June 2015).
- Evolving Meaning: The Interpretation of Investment Treaties and Temporal Variations, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (21 March 2015).
- Previous Decisions in Investment Arbitration, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (23 December 2014). Interpreting Investment Treaties, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (21 October 2014).
- Fragmentation and Harmonization in the ICSID Decision-Making Process, 11(1) Transnational Dispute Management (2014). Republished in Reshaping the Investor-State Dispute Settlement System: Journeys for the 21st Century (2015).
- As Origens do Uso da Arbitragem Como Modo de Solução de Controvérsias em Disputas Relativas a Investimentos [The Origins of the Use of Arbitration as a Dispute Settlement Method in Investment Disputes], Revista Brasileira de Arbitragem – Edição Especial (2011).
- Alabama Claims: Decision of the Arbitrators Respecting National Losses, 31 Revista Brasileira de Arbitragem (2011).
- Urbaser S.A. e Consorcio de Aguas Bilbao Bizcaia, Bilboa Biskaia Ur Partzuergoa vs. Argentina (ICSID Case n. ABR/07/26): a decisão sobre o pedido de desqualificação de árbitro de 12.08.2010 [Urbaser S.A. and Consorcio de Aguas Bilbao Bizcaia, Bilboa Biskaia Ur Partzuergoa vs. Argentina (ICSID Case n. ABR/07/26): The Decision on the Proposal to Disqualify an Arbitrator], 29 Revista de Arbitragem e Mediação (2011).
- Mobil v. Venezuela: The Nationality Requirement under the ICSID Convention, 3 Yearbook on Arbitration and Mediation (2011).
- Question Mark on the Arbitrability of Disputes Arising out of Public Contracts in Brazil, Kluwer Arbitration Blog (22 October 2010).
- Euro Telecom v. Bolivia: The Denunciation of the ICSID Convention and ICSID Arbitration under BITs, 6(1) Transnational Dispute Management (2009).
- ICSID and Non-Foreign Investment Disputes, 4(5) Transnational Dispute Management (2007).