Tina Bicat is the Costume Technician for the Drama programme at St Mary’s and works with the Drama students on costume for performances. She also lectures on the Creative Thinking module.
In the outside world she is a freelance theatre designer, inventor and maker.
Her credits include design and realisation of costume, set, transformations, illusions, special effects, puppets, masks, installations and community workshops and consultancy leading to performance for Amici, The Barbican Centre , Filament Theatre Company ,Flying Cloud Theatre, Kew Gardens, Mahagony Opera Company and the Greta Tree Climbing Company , NIE, Ockham’s Razor, Punchdrunk and the ENO, The National Trust, RedCape Theatre, South Bank Centre, Stefano di Renzo, Tallerspiral ,and The Young Vic.
Tina won Critic’s Circle award for Design with the team of the site- specific company PunchDrunk and is an Associate member of Ockham’s Razor, winners of the 2016 Total Theatre Award at Edinburgh Festival. She has written seven books on practical aspects of theatre practice all published by the Crowood Press.
At the moment, along with her work with the Drama Students here, she is designing for Amici, the integrated dance company at the Lyric Theatre for ’35 Amici Drive ‘ and ‘Tightrope’, with Filament on ‘Rufus Longbottom and the Space Rabbit’ in Stratford, Oxford and Derby, and developing two new shows with Ockham’s Razor and with RedCape Theatre. Technically minded St Mary’s students will intern with her on these shows, and our graduate students are often employed by these companies.
Tina’s overriding interest lies in inventing visual solutions to ideas within a performance company and making them happen.
- Bicat, Tina. Costume and Design for Devised and Physical Theatre. A Practical Guide 2012 Crowood Press
- Bicat, Tina and Balwin C. Devised and Collaborative Theatre. A Practical Guide 2002 Crowood Press
- Bicat, Tina.Puppets and Performing Objects. A Practical Guide 2007 Crowood Press
- Bicat, Tina.Period Costume for the Stage. A Practical Guide 2003 Crowood Press
- Bicat, Tina. The Handbook of Stage Costume. 2006 Crowood Press
- Bicat, Tina.Making Stage Costumes. A Practical Guide 2001 Crowood Press
- Bicat, Tina. Pantomime. A Practical Guide 2004 Crowood Press