Prof Trevor Walker
Professor of Drama Education
Trevor Walker is Professor of Drama Education. A graduate of the University of London and with a masters’ degree in Shakespeare’s Theatre from the University of Birmingham, Trevor worked as a theatre director for a number of years in the UK, Europe and North America before becoming a senior lecturer at Goldsmiths’ College, London. His research at Goldsmiths focussed on theatre directing and community theatre.
As Academic Director for Drama (2004-2012) at St Mary’s he served on a number of university committees including Board of Governors, Academic Board and was chair of the Student Experience Committee.
His recent research interests have been in Applied Theatre and Healthcare. He directed the world premieres of Nell Dunn’s plays Cancer Tales and Home Death and has published articles, book chapters and given papers at conferences across Europe and the United States on the subject of verbatim theatre and healthcare.
For ten years he produced and directed productions of Cancer Tales across Europe, performing in theatres and at medical conferences and has won awards in Ireland and the UK. Trevor also directed a film of Cancer Tales and contributed to the Cancer Tales Workbook which are both used across Europe in the training of healthcare professionals. His work in Europe included contributing to government initiatives in Croatia to introduce hospices and palliative care. He is a member of the International Advisory Board of the Zagreb Institute for the Culture of Health.
Home Death has also been performed at a number of medical conferences as well at the House of Lords where it was commissioned to inform the Lords’ debate on assisted dying.
Commissioned by Merton, Sutton and Hounslow Councils, Trevor wrote and directed two public information films on health issues and most recently has worked for the Teenage Cancer Trust. In 2015 / 16 he wrote and directed two plays for TCT which were performed at a number of conferences and a film script, Other People, which was made into a film in 2016 and is currently part of Teenage Cancer Trust’s education programme.
- Writer & Director - Four Funerals and a Wedding St Mary’s bioethics conference January 2017
- Directed - Performance Cancer Tales and talk St Mary’s bioethics conference January 2016
- Directed and Co-wrote with Gavin Baker A Bitter Pill Staff development event University of Cumbria December 2015
- Writer & Director - Commission from Teenage Cancer Trust Four Funerals and a Wedding - Performance FYSOT conference Nottingham 14 November 2015
- Writer & Director - Performance Other People FYSOT conference Lichfield 4 July 2015
- Writer & Director -Performance Cancer Tales Bioethics Conference St Mary’s University 31 Jan 2015
- Writer & Director - Commission from Teenage Cancer Trust Other People. Performance FYSOT conference Nottingham 15 November 2014
- Writer & Director - Healthy Catering – information film for Merton & Sutton Councils July 2014
- Director - Performance Cancer Tales Gothenburg 5 March 2014
- Director - Performance Cancer Tales Bioethics Conference St Mary’s University 1 Feb 2014
- Directed Falls Film – public health information film for Hounslow Council July 2013
- Director - Performance Home Death House of Lords 24 April 2013
- Director - Performance Cancer Tales Bioethics Conference St Mary’s University College Jan 2013
- Director - Performances Cancer Tales Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmo Nov 2012
- Director - Performance Cancer Tales Rovinj, Croatia Sept 2012
- Director - Performance Home Death Gateshead Palliative Care Conference 20 March 2012
- Director - Performance Cancer Tales Bioethics Conference St Mary’s University College June 2012
- Director - Performance Cancer Tales Bioethics Conference St Mary’s University College January 2012
- Produced- John’s Story by Mark Griffin for 7th International Conference on Teenage and Young Adult Cancer Medicine, Royal Society of Medicine 26 June 2012
- Writer – Other People & Four Funerals and a Wedding, St Mary’s University Theatre November 2016
- Writer - Commission from Teenage Cancer trust to write screenplay (new version) Other People. Filmed by Mosaic Films September 2015. Also Casting director and actors’ coach.
- Book chapter - Cancer tales – Telling patients’ stories through theatre by Trevor Walker in Person in Medicine & Healthcare Dordevic, Bras & Milicic (eds) Medicinska Naklada 2012
- Article - Teater i sjukvarden by Trevor Walker in BestPractice (Sweden) Aug 2013
- Conference paper - Theatre & Healthcare, Key - note speaker Arts & Humanities Research Conference, University of Cumbria March 14 2016
- Conference paper and extracts of Cancer Tales Performed for Ars Medica conference Dubrovnik May 2014
- Conference paper and extracts Cancer Tales& Home Death performed Dubrovnik 21 April 2013
- Conference Paper on Cancer Tales & Home Death Zagreb, Sept 2012