Our Design and Visual Communication degree offers a highly focused, practice-based programme of study, that both challenges and develops aspiring graphic designers in a range of inter-related disciplines.
Why study Design and Visual Communication?
A commitment to the fundamental skills of creative problem solving sits at the heart of this programme. Designers within a modern, global information economy need to not just create beautiful and effective visuals, but also communicate story and meaning in ways that can be widely understood.
While the primary focus of the degree is graphic design, we recognise that the need to visually communicate information must flow seamlessly from page to screen, the screen must transition elegantly from fixed to mobile, and content must be effective whilst stationary or in motion.
Why St Mary's?
We embrace the idea that designers can, and should, search beyond their own specialist fields for influence and inspiration. Our innovative approach to an artefact-driven Design History module at level four of the programme - and our insistence that every design student work across multiple, specialist disciplines - offers evidence of this.
While it is imperative that creativity is at the core of your student experience, all successful designers must learn the art of compromise and negotiation, and as such we will focus on working with, and for, clients (from pitch through to delivery) throughout the programme
Every St Mary’s design student will undertake a comprehensive programme of professional development sessions, with a strong focus on employability within the creative industries. We believe that this core structure offers a perfect blend of simplicity and clarity that will enable you to establish yourself as a key player in the creative future.
- A holistic design education that informs excellence in graphic design through engagement with a range of disciplines
- A location that places students at the gateway to London’s thriving creative industries
- An embedded professional practice strand that ensures every student maximises their employability potential
- Live briefs and links to industry embedded throughout the programme
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus in South West London