Education and Social Science is excellent preparation for careers in teaching, youth work, children's services, the third sector, policy research, and education administration.
Why study Education and Social Science (with a Foundation Year) ?
This interdisciplinary degree will help you develop a critical understanding of education in both formal and non-formal contexts from an international and UK perspective.
It provides you with the critical tools required to interrogate debates and legislation relating to education and social policy, paying particular attention to the relationship between education and society.
At its heart, the programme addresses issues of social justice and equality, educational and social disadvantage, and looks at how we can challenge injustice and inequality through our actions and practice.
Why St Mary's?
The degree places significant emphasis on linking theory to practice, providing you with the opportunity to take four work placements throughout the second and third year of the degree.
In your first year you'll be placed in a small study group that you will work with throughout the year in lectures and seminars, helping you settle in to your course.
You will be taught by highly qualified staff who are experts in their field. Their research strongly underpins the curriculum and currently includes: refugee education, gender and international development, girlhood, English education, progressive education, education in Scandinavia, cross-cultural perspectives on SEN and Disability and developmental psychology and primary science education.
About the Foundation Year
Our four-year degree programmes (including a foundation year) provide an alternative route to undergraduate study at university if you do not have the grades to access higher education in the traditional way.
On successful completion of the Education Foundation Year pathway you will progress on to the three-year undergraduate degree in Education and Social Science.
- 94% overall satisfaction in the 2017 National Student Survey (NSS). Education and Social Science also scored 95% for learning opportunities and 91% for academic support in the 2017 NSS.
- You will have the chance to study abroad for a semester in your second year in either Europe or the USA.
- Opportunities to take work placements during your degree to enhance employability
- You will be taught be research-active staff expert in their field
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus with direct transport links into Central London
Please note: Education and Social Science (with a Foundation Year) is subject to revalidation.