Our BA in Film degree gives you the opportunity to explore film theory and history, as well as hands-on in a range of practical media production modules.
- The programme will provide you with a solid background in screen industries, from a theoretical, practical and industry perspective.
- Study with media professionals and international and national experts in film, television and popular culture.
- You will learn precise research and production skills that will allow you to enter a wide variety of professions.
- Professional development and work experience modules.
- Degree includes a placement year of paid work experience
Why study Film?
With approximately one in five new jobs in London within the creative industries, our Film degree will provide you with a solid background in screen industries, from a theoretical, practical and industry perspective.
You will learn precise research and production skills that will allow you to enter a wide variety of professions. You will also be following individual interests and passions that will motivate you to work hard in your chosen area of study.
By studying a range of topics you will gain an understanding of the most significant issues affecting the media today and its relationship with our culture and society. This degree will prepare you for a career in a wide range of industries.
We offer opportunities for you to gain work experience in the media and specialist modules to develop your skills in creative scriptwriting, film and cultural criticism and film production.
Why St Mary's?
The degree includes modules on a wide variety of film, television, popular music and other screen media. There is plenty of chance for you to explore the types of media that particularly interest you.
As well as being a train ride away from the heart of London's film industry, our students benefit from an extremely accessible teaching staff, made up of research academics as well as industry professionals.
About the Placement Year
A placement year enables students to undertake a year of experience in an organisation between their second and final year. It is a substantial piece of paid experience where you can make a real contribution to your employer and it can really make you stand out from the crowd!
It will also enable you to:
- Apply the knowledge and skills you gain from your course in a work setting
- Build your commercial awareness and insights into organisations and industries you might want to work in.
- Develop your professional skills through company training, networking skills and confidence in the workplace
- Get some great experience for future job applications or even land a graduate job!
Support from St Mary’s every step of the way.
Securing a placement can really help you develop your job search skills and the Employability Service placement and careers teams can support you to find and apply for available opportunities. You will need to attend some preparatory workshops which will explain all aspects of the placement year and give you the skills to find the placement of your choice. With access to our jobs board, careers events and employer contacts you will be able to approach companies confidently and find the right opportunity for you.
Please note: in the event that you cannot secure a placement you will be able to transfer onto the 3 year version of your degree programme.
The undergraduate degree with foundation year programme offers applicants without traditional qualifications or grades an alternative route to studying Film (with a Placement Year).
Dr Jon Hackett
Head of Department - Communications, Media and Marketing