Please note: this degree is only accepting applications to transfer directly on to the third year of the programme.
Health and exercise science addresses the causes, prevention and management of chronic diseases using physical activity and health promotion strategies as tools to improve health and wellbeing.
- The degree will explore in-depth issues relating to health promotion through lifestyle and behavioural changes.
- Two pathways are offered on this programme: Community pathway & Clinical Exercise pathway (Single Honours only).
- You will be assessed through continuous coursework assessment, timed essays, research and laboratory reports, and more.
Why study Health and Exercise Science?
The importance of maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle is increasingly calling for highly-skilled and practically adept graduates in the health sector.
The degree's emphasis on practical learning will prepare you to enter a wide range of vocational careers. It will explore in-depth issues relating to health promotion through lifestyle and behavioural changes, distinguishing it from more traditional sport science programmes that focus on sport performance.
In recent BBC news headlines, the NHS announced that 1,000 more “social prescribers” are to be trained to prescribe social activities like exercise classes to support GP’s and help reduce their workload. Read the full blog post...
Why St Mary's?
Our staff are student-centred and interested in your holistic development. The programme is a relatively new innovation, addressing the growing need to improve the health of an increasingly sedentary population.
There are currently two pathways offered on this programme:
The Community pathway focuses on health and exercise promotion in community settings.
There are external vocational qualifications integrated into the pathway that are recognised by employers in the health and fitness industry, including:
- REPs Level 2 with the category of Gym-Based Exercise (after Year 1)
- Royal Society for Public Health Level 2; Understanding Health Improvement Award examination (after Year 1)
Clinical Exercise pathway (Single Honours only)
The Clinical Exercise pathway focuses on the assessment and application of health and exercise promotion for people with chronic conditions such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
As well as the vocational qualifications available on the Community pathway, the Clinical Exercise pathway also includes the following industry-recognised awards:
- REPs Level 3 with the category of Exercise Referral (after Year 3)