The Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development degree at St Mary’s provides you with a critical understanding of the physical, social, pedagogical and educational aspects of Physical Education and Sport. This will take place through a theoretical and applied approach that requires you to engage as active learners in a variety of practical and theoretical contexts.
This programme is specifically suited to those students who wish to pursue a career in primary, secondary teaching, special educational needs and disability settings, youth coaching in able-bodied and adapted sports, sports development and the leisure industry.
Please note: this degree is the new title for the Physical and Sport Education BA (Hons) programme.
Why study Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development (with a Foundation Year)?
Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development ensures that you are equipped for many different roles within the sports industry. This is done by undertaking work-based opportunities and additional sporting qualifications that will further enable them to stand out in the job market.
The degree explores the practical application of physical education and sports coaching as well as wider contemporary considerations associated with the industry such as philosophy, sociology, performance analysis and sports development. It also focuses on providing you with a critical understanding of the physical, social, pedagogical and educational aspects of Physical Education and Sport.
We aim for you to gain both knowledge and an understanding of applying innovative ideas to their coaching and teaching practice.
Why St Mary's?
We have an incredibly strong reputation for Physical Education teaching and sports performance at St Mary’s University. Our programme offers you the opportunity to work towards a career in teaching PE in both the primary, secondary and special needs settings, youth coaching in both able-bodied and adapted sports, sports development and the leisure industry.
The campus itself is greenly-rural, yet London-urban, located amongst many partnership organisations for you to access for their own work based development.
The uniqueness of the course is displayed in the variety of sports industry modules options on offer, enabling you to choose several career pathways. The course highly regards innovative use of technology to enhance your experience, particularly in relation to supporting development of your teaching and coaching practice.
We have established strong links with over 200 schools that form our teaching partnerships and provide a diverse range of teaching settings for you to gain work placement experience. We also have links with a range of National Governing Bodies in Elite and Disability Sport, as well as with a Premier League football club, who provide invaluable work-based learning opportunities.
The course is further supported by a team of lecturers who have a wide range of expertise in academic and industry fields, national and Olympic/Paralympic sport arenas and professional expertise and experience in PE and sport, who make every effort to know their students by name, not by number.
- This course expresses our vision of a graduate who is equipped and prepared to engage young people in the importance of physical education and encourages them to lead healthy and active lifestyles and be physically-active through their life course
- Designed specifically for those students who wish to pursue careers in primary, secondary teaching, special educational needs and disability settings and youth coaching in able-bodied and adapted sports
- Provides you with the opportunity to develop and explore the practical application of physical education (PE) and sports coaching, as well as wider considerations, such as philosophy, sociology and adapted physical education and sport
- Gives you a critical understanding of the physical, social, pedagogical and educational aspects of physical education, sport and youth development, including the skills required for successful practice in these settings
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus.