This course combines a degree with a qualification to teach (QTS). We are currently judged as 'Outstanding' by Ofsted.
Why study Primary Education with QTS?
Primary Education leads to one of the most fulfilling and rewarding careers.
Our degree programme trains you to teach children aged 5 to 11 years old. It teaches you how to educate and inspire future generations, and gives you the perfect foundation for future pathways such as educational leadership.
You will gain an in-depth knowledge of primary education with three years to acquire the relevant knowledge and skills needed to be an outstanding teacher.
Why St Mary's?
We are a renowned institution and have close connections to many leading primary schools in London. School experience is an integral part of the course. You spend a minimum of six weeks in school each year where you progress from teaching small groups to whole classes.
Your school experience will be with Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2. Placements are organised by us to ensure that you receive the appropriate level of support. We promote international links and there are opportunities to study abroad during the course.
You will be supported by a passionate and caring team of experienced tutors who strive for excellence in the theory and practice of teaching. By studying with us fantastic resources and support systems will be available to you throughout your degree.
In line with our Mission Statement, we seek to prepare teachers for both religious and secular schools with special provision for those intending to teach in Roman Catholic and other Christian schools.
Teaching takes place in purpose-built classrooms that mirror those found in primary schools. Tutors model good practice in the use of ICT and use lectures, seminars, and group activities to stimulate and encourage you to become reflective practitioners.
You will be assessed through essays, rationales, portfolios, lesson plans, presentations, resource innovation and one formal examination. School experience is assessed against the government’s standards for the award of Qualified Teacher Status.
- Strong links are made between theory and practice and students are able to see how the degree and the school elements are interlinked
- There is a focus on student-led learning and you are encouraged to take ownership of your professional development
- Our Primary Initial Teacher Education courses are judged by Ofsted as ‘outstanding’ - the highest grade attainable in an Ofsted inspection.
- You will choose four elective subjects in the second year, allowing you to showcase your talents and follow your particular interests
- Enhancement placements enable you to focus on your strengths and areas for development
- We have excellent links with schools and training in the classroom is of a very high quality
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus