Designed for real world challenges in contemporary coaching, three strands run through the degree: coaching process, skill acquisition and performance analysis.
Apply to study Sports Coaching Science (with a Foundation Year) in 2019: Apply through Clearing today.
Why study Sports Coaching Science (with a Foundation Year)?
A Sports Coaching Science degree, alongside governing body qualifications, will provide a foundation for a career in performance coaching.
The course provides you with an environment where you can develop theoretical and practical knowledge at each level of study. You will gain a strong understanding of the key science topics and practical skills that will make you stand out from other graduates.
You'll study a range of sports, but we encourage you to relate the degree content to your chosen sports coaching domain. Through the course, you'll develop skills relevant to other careers in sport-related fields, as well as those valued by all graduate employers.
Why St Mary's?
Sports Coaching Science is driven by scientific topics and includes three strands that will provide you with a well-rounded knowledge of the sports performance environment:
- Coaching process strand: enhances practical skills and develops critical analysis of coaching practice
- Skill acquisition strand: provides an understanding of motor learning and effective training settings
- Performance analysis strand: explores objective measurement of performance to inform performance and coaching effectiveness
The programme content also incorporates opportunities to specialise in the sport sciences of physiology, biomechanics and sport psychology. On top of this, you can also gain in-depth, coaching-related knowledge in skill acquisition, performance analysis and coaching pedagogy.
St Mary’s has a long-standing tradition of excellence in sports and a significant number of elite sports performers regularly choose to study for degrees in the School of Sport, Health and Applied Science.
About the Foundation Year
Our four-year degree programmes (including a foundation year) provide an alternative route to undergraduate study at university if you do not have the grades to access higher education in the traditional way.
On successful completion of the Pedagogical Science Foundation Year pathway you will progress on to the three-year undergraduate degree in Sports Coaching Science.
- 82.6% of Sports Coaching Science students are in professional employment, further study or both six months after graduation (HESA, DLHE 2015/16)
- The University has a long tradition of excellence in sport
- Teaching staff are all involved in coaching, coach education and/or cutting edge research
- Excellent sports facilities, laboratories and strength and conditioning suite
- Coaching opportunities on campus and in the local area
- Superb national and local links to organisations within the industry
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus