Giving you an insight into tourism and preparing you for a variety of career options associated with this industry.
Why study Tourism?
The UK tourism industry supports around two million jobs or 5% of all UK employment. By 2025 the tourist industry will grow to be worth over £257 billion and will support almost 4 million jobs (VisitBritain).
Our Tourism programme gives you the opportunity to realise the wider impact that this exciting and rapidly expanding industry plays in the world.
Not only will this prepare you for careers in the tourism industry but for other thrilling opportunities in related industries such as entertainment and leisure as well as environmental protection.
Why St Mary's?
The Tourism programme at St Mary's exposes students to real life tourism industry scenarios and challenges.
During the programme you will:
- Have access to innovative and exciting teaching methods from our team of academics, researchers and visiting professors
- Learn how to manage tourism developments in a more sustainable and socially responsible way
- Gain an understanding of the business context for the tourist industry
- Visit tourism developments in the UK and overseas, such as the Caribbean and Central Europe
- Develop insight into how different regions, countries and cities have grown and developed their approaches to tourism.
You will examine a range of tourism issues from development and planning through to law and sustainability.
The programme is offered as part of a joint honours degree allowing you to combine study of it with another popular subject.
This degree is delivered through lectures, practical work and exercises, small-group tutorials, seminars and fieldwork. Lectures will provide you with an overview of a topic and you'll be expected to follow-up by reading further about subject.
Each module is accompanied by a guide that provides you with practical information, reading lists, websites, and other materials. You'll be given work - such as reading - prior to your seminars.
Tourism is a vocational degree and there's a considerable amount of practical and project-based work attached to many of the modules.
We make use of a wide range of assessment methods. This includes essays, project and fieldwork reports, diaries, oral presentations and traditional exams.
For most modules, 70% of the assessment is coursework and the remaining 30% is by exam.
However, several modules are 100% coursework. These assessment types reflect the practical nature of the degree.
Assessment criteria are clearly stated for each module and a guidance and feedback is provided to assist your learning.
- Subject-specific academic tutor for one-to-one support
- Opportunities for overseas fieldwork
- Opportunities for work placements as part of your degree
- Very high level of tutor support
- Exposure to a range of tourism products and practitioners
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus