Welcome to the Creative and Professional Writing Programme and to the Department of Humanities at St Mary’s University, Twickenham.
We are delighted to have you join us and hope that you will enjoy your undergraduate studies here at St Mary’s.
You are no doubt excited about starting your studies, but I’m sure you are naturally a little apprehensive as well. The purpose of this letter is to give you some insight into studying Creative and Professional Writing at St Mary’s and what you can expect when you arrive in September.
Download your welcome letter
Your induction timetable
During your first week at St Mary's you'll attend a series of induction sessions to help settle you into the University and the course. Your timetable for the rest of the semester will be given to you during the induction week.
- Sunday 8th September, 8am-6pm: Registration open (students living in University accommodation only)
- Monday 9th September, 9am-5pm: Registration open (all other students)
- Monday 9th September, 9-11am: Creative and Professional Writing induction session (B13)
A warm welcome and an overview of what and how you will be learning on the degree
- Monday 9th September, 1-2pm: Student essentials(K217/K222)
Monday, 9th September, 3-4pm: Reading, Writing and Arithmetic (B13)
Induction continued, as we discuss the aims and ambitions of the degree and to start to put them into practice.
- Monday 9th September, 5-7.30pm: Humanities welcome drinks (Drama Studio 2)
- Wednesday 11th September, 10am-1pm: Getting into writing (F6)
A further opportunity to test the waters of writing, as we try our hands at different forms, and see how they fit with the overarching goals of the programme.
- Thursday 12th September, 3-5pm: Creative and Professional Writing induction reading (Shannon one and two)
We take over the Shannon Suite* for the culmination of the CPW Induction Week sessions, a reading event featuring returning students from other years of the degree, at which you’ll have the chance to meet and socialise with them. (*Outside if it’s good weather!)
- Friday 13th September, 1-2pm: Student life (K217/K222)
There will be lots of other activities going on during the first couple of weeks. Make sure you check out the welcome events calendar.
If, for any reason, you are unable to make it to the Student Essentials talk on Monday, we will be repeating it on Thursday 12th September, 12-1pm in K217/K222.