Our PGCE Secondary English course offers you the opportunity to train to teach English within a Secondary School setting.
- This programme is rated 'outstanding' by the government (OFSTED)
- Gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and 60 Master’s degree credits
- There are EAL and SEND specialist tutors to support in these key areas of Secondary English Teaching.
- Links with Gothic Literature specialists who deliver subject knowledge sessions to support delivery at KS3 and KS4.
- Visiting lecturers in creativity and spoken word poetry.
Why study Secondary English?
Applicants will be assessed on their ability to teach pupils in the 11-16 age range, but opportunities for A Level teaching are also included in the programme as appropriate.
The course covers all aspects of English, with an emphasis on practical activities for use in school. There is a strong emphasis on planning for the whole ability range to ensure that all pupils are able to make progress with a focus on the impact of literacy, EAL and SEN on Secondary English teaching and learning.
The experienced English tutors work in close partnership with trainees and the placement schools.
Why St Mary's?
If you wish to study for the Catholic Certificate of Religious Studies you will be able to complete several of the modules during your PGCE year. This certificate is often a requirement for teaching in a Catholic school.
Our partnership schools offer a rich and diverse training programme for our trainees. We work with partner schools throughout the London area. During your placements, you will be guided from working with small groups of pupils alongside a subject teacher towards taking responsibility for whole classes.
Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
Our PGCE programmes include Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and 60 Master’s degree credits. A large part of the programme is spent in assessed school placements that our School Partnership team will arrange for you, based on your home residential address.
QTS is required to teach in all state-maintained schools in England.