Mathematics PGCE applicants are expected to have a good degree in maths (2:2 or above) or a related subject.
Please note: interviews for all 2021 PGCE programmes will be conducted online and recorded.
Additional requirement information
- Your degree should have a significant proportion of the subject you wish to teach. Subject knowledge enhancement courses may be set as a condition in some cases, particularly when the degree is not clearly ‘in line’ with the subject you are applying to.
- GCSEs in English Language and Mathematics at level 4 (grade C if taken before 2017) or above or equivalent. GCSE Mathematics (or equivalence) must be in place at application. GCSE equivalents are offered by St Mary's University.
- By the end of your teacher training programme you will have to demonstrate that you are competent in functional English and mathematics. This is a Department for Education requirement.
- Two appropriate references (from an academic tutor or line manager) supporting your suitability for teaching. All references should be from a professional email address.
- Satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
- Original certification (or certified copies) of all qualifications will be required as evidence.
- Physical and mental fitness to teach.
At St Mary's, we would like all applicants to have made a fully informed decision about considering joining the teaching profession. As part of that decision making process, spending some time in school(s) observing what teachers do and beginning to give some consideration to how they manage learning can be really insightful and informative.
Your training is most likely to take place in mixed, state comprehensive school environments. If you are choosing to complete some school observation as part of making an informed decision about teaching then we would encourage you to do so in a similar school setting.
It is proving extremely difficult for some individuals to get school experience due to the current COVID-19 restrictions. However, it is still extremely important that you demonstrate the steps that you have taken to make a fully informed decision about entering teacher training within your application. With this in mind, you may want to review some of the government's resources as part of the process:
Make sure to check our information for candidates applying from Northern Ireland and Ireland.
International students should check our country-specific pages for equivalents. If English is not your first language you will need to achieve an IELTS score of 6.5 overall with no less than 6.0 in any section (or equivalent).
We now accept IELTS Indicator test results as proof of your English language level.
The gov.uk website has a 'Get into teaching' guide for overseas students.
Representatives from St Mary's will be visiting Ireland and Nothern Ireland in the coming weeks to interview applicants. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
For more information about entry requirements please email email@example.com.