Our modern foreign language (MFL) PGCE course offers you the opportunity to train to teach French, Spanish and German.
- This programme is rated 'outstanding' by the government (OFSTED)
- Gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and 60 Master’s degree credits
- 100% of PGCE Secondary students are employed or in further study (or both) within six months of graduating (DLHE, 2016/17)
- Engaged tutors who are actively involved in the Association for Language Learning nationally, including President for 2015-18
- Excellent partnerships with schools for specific training activities e.g. Masterclasses with Key Stage 3 pupils, focus on global dimension, development of effective use of IT for MFL teaching and learning, transition from primary to secondary MFL
- Termly MFL professional development meetings for trainees and teachers to share good practice, as well as regular one-day training courses such as making effective use of the iPad in the MFL classroom
Why study Secondary Modern Foreign Languages (MFL)?
Most often, you will offer one main language for teaching, but many also offer a second language, perhaps at Key Stage 3 level.
Trainees are assessed on their ability to teach pupils in the 11-16 age range, but opportunities for A Level teaching are also included in the programme as appropriate.
Why St Mary's?
The course covers all aspects of modern language teaching and learning, with an emphasis on practical activities for use in school. There is a strong emphasis on using the target language in the classroom, as well as planning for the whole ability range to ensure that all pupils are able to make progress.
The experienced modern language tutors work in close partnership with trainees and the placement schools.
If you wish to study for the Catholic Certificate of Religious Studies you will be able to complete several of the modules during your PGCE year. This certificate is often a requirement for teaching in a Catholic school.
Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
Our PGCE programmes include Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and 60 Master’s degree credits. A large part of the programme is spent in assessed school placements that our School Partnership team will arrange for you, based on your home residential address.
QTS is required to teach in all state-maintained schools in England.
Upcoming open days and webinars
We'll be running events for you to find out more about Secondary Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) PGCE on the following dates:
Wednesday 22nd February 2023, 7pm
Senior Lecturer - Secondary PGCE Admissions Tutor