The Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage (ITEC) course will provide you with the ability to practice sports massage techniques used to treat and care for clients who have a need to relieve pain and recover from sporting endeavours.
Sports massage techniques allow clients to progress with their sporting and fitness goals and aim to reduce inflammation and discomfort, while minimising the long-term impact and the risk of future injuries.
The course is designed to give you the understanding and the skills to work in an unsupervised capacity as a qualified sports massage therapist. It will allow you will be able to acquire insurance, set up your own business, or gain employment within the industry.
I've enjoyed meeting new people, the tutors were excellent, learning new skills was the most valuable experience I’ve had in a long time and it really helped in my current job as a Personal Trainer. The whole journey was full of fun memories!
Dates and times
This is a part-time course with 17 sessions that run once a week over a five month period.
Each day of the course will run from 9.30am-4.30pm and you can choose from the following date options.
- Wednesday course sessions run from 20th September 2023 to 7th February 2024.
- Sunday course sessions run from 17th September 2023 to 4th February 2024.
- Saturday course sessions run from 24th February 2024 to 6th July 2024.
- Wednesday course sessions run from 21st February 2024 to 3rd July 2024.
The examination date will be an additional day approximately two to three weeks after the last day of the course. Once agreed with the external provider you will be notified by email.
We also offer a Level 3 Intensive Diploma Sports Massage course which is full-time, Monday to Friday, and runs over a three week period. The next couse will run on the weeks commencing:
- Monday 5th June 2023
- Monday 19th June 2023
- Monday 3 July 2023.
This course will be held at our 60 Waldegrave Road Campus.
The full cost is £1,650. The deposit cost is £50.
Whilst enrolled upon this course you will develop your knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning the practice of sports massage therapy. The course consists of five distinct modules:
- Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Massage
- Principles of Health and Fitness
- Professional Practice in Sports Massage
- Understanding the Principles of Soft Tissue Dysfunction
- Sports Massage Treatments.
The Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Massage module will cover the following areas:
- body systems including cells, skin, skeletal, muscular, joint, nervous, endocrine, cardiovascular, lymphatic, respiratory, digestive, and urinary.
You will apply the foundation knowledge you learn in Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Massage and will learn the practical skills of how to give a sports massage. Throughout the Sports Massage element course you will cover the following:
- the effects of sports massage
- benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- effects of exercise on the body
- components of fitness
- principles of training
- healthy eating
- professional practice and conduct
- setting up and management of a practice
- soft tissue, dysfunction and repair
- client assessment
- contra-indications and indications
- sports massage treatments.
Throughout the course you will both give and receive massages so please be prepared; this is a practical, hands-on course.
The course will be assessed by the following methods:
- evidence of three sports massage treatments
- completion of a 25 question multiple choice paper
- a final practical exam supervised by an external ITEC examiner, including oral questioning.
The course also requires three assignments to be completed with the following titles:
- The Principles of Health and Fitness
- Professional Practice in Sports Massage
- Understanding the Principles of Soft Tissue Dysfunction.
You will also accumulate an extensive portfolio of evidence of learning, which is a useful tool for later reference.
It is recommended that learners should have achieved a level of education equivalent to five GCSEs at grades A*- C prior to commencing the ITEC Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage. Exemptions may be made for adult returners with experience of the work place.
We also offer the Level 2 Award in Infection Prevention (COVID-19) for Complementary Therapies and Sports Massage. This course is available to study online, see here for details.
Successful students will receive an ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage (QCF).
You will be a fully qualified sports massage therapist who can gain insurance and set up your own business or gain employment within the industry.
Sucessful completion of the Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage will also allow you to progress to even more advance study should you wish. The Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage is the natural progression followed by The Level 5 Certificate in Sports Massage.
For more information about this course please contact the Short Courses Team:
Select a course
Please select which course you would like to book on to:
Telephone: 020 8240 4321