The importance of effective media and marketing skills has never been higher. This course focuses on developing your media production skills and aims to give you insight into the world of communications.
- Learn about consumer behaviour, branding, customer relationships and digital communications.
- Specialist modules in: Entrepreneurial and Online Journalism, Multimedia Production, The Media Industries, and Marketing Strategy and Implementation.
- Designed in collaboration with leading media and communications industry professionals.
- Optional work placements designed to provide you with in-demand skills.
- Degree includes a placement year of paid work experience
Why study Communications, Media and Marketing?
The growth of the communications and marketing industries in recent years has presented a great opportunity for graduates with suitable knowledge to make an impact in various professions.
As part of this degree you will learn about the theory and practice of media production and the most effective techniques to communicate your message to different audiences across a variety of media platforms.
On this course you'll learn about consumer behaviour, branding, customer relationships and digital communications. A series of exciting, practical media projects (designed by industry professionals) will help you to think critically, strategically and creatively.
This Communications, Media and Marketing course will help you to acquire the most relevant skills, teach you how to use them effectively and how to put them into practice in real-world scenarios.
Why St Mary's?
You will be part of a lively and diverse learning environment, where you are encouraged to join student clubs and attend public lectures and events, enabling you to network and develop your learning beyond your academic studies.
In addition to classroom learning, you will have the opportunity to use our media facilities and technical equipment to develop your practical skills.
The course is taught by industry professionals and leading academics in the field, with emphasis put on supporting you as an individual in an open and friendly environment. We work hard to help you to develop your employability skills and the degree offers you the opportunity to gain work experience in a range of businesses in London.
About the Placement Year
A placement year enables students to undertake a year of experience in an organisation between their second and final year. It is a substantial piece of paid experience where you can make a real contribution to your employer and it can really make you stand out from the crowd!
It will also enable you to:
- Apply the knowledge and skills you gain from your course in a work setting
- Build your commercial awareness and insights into organisations and industries you might want to work in.
- Develop your professional skills through company training, networking skills and confidence in the workplace
- Get some great experience for future job applications or even land a graduate job!
Support from St Mary’s every step of the way.
Securing a placement can really help you develop your job search skills and the Employability Service placement and careers teams can support you to find and apply for available opportunities. You will need to attend some preparatory workshops which will explain all aspects of the placement year and give you the skills to find the placement of your choice. With access to our jobs board, careers events and employer contacts you will be able to approach companies confidently and find the right opportunity for you.
Please note: in the event that you cannot secure a placement you will be able to transfer onto the 3 year version of your degree programme.
The undergraduate degree with foundation year programme offers applicants without traditional qualifications or grades an alternative route to studying Communications, Media and Marketing (with a Placement Year).
Chat to a student
Programme Lead for Communications, Film, Media, Marketing and Foundation Year