The Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development degree at St Mary’s provides you with a critical understanding of the physical, social, pedagogical and educational aspects of Physical Education and Sport. This will take place through a theoretical and applied approach that requires you to engage as active learners in a variety of practical and theoretical contexts.
Please note: this degree is the new title for the Physical and Sport Education BA (Hons) programme.
Why study Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development?
Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development ensures that you are equipped for many different roles within the sports industry. This is done by undertaking work-based opportunities and additional sporting qualifications that will further enable them to stand out in the job market.
The degree explores the practical application of physical education and sports coaching as well as wider contemporary considerations associated with the industry such as philosophy, sociology, performance analysis and sports development. It also focuses on providing you with a critical understanding of the physical, social, pedagogical and educational aspects of Physical Education and Sport.
We aim for you to gain both knowledge and an understanding of applying innovative ideas to their coaching and teaching practice.
Why St Mary's?
We have an incredibly strong reputation for Physical Education teaching and sports performance at St Mary’s University. Our programme offers you the opportunity to work towards a career in teaching PE in both the primary, secondary and special needs settings, youth coaching in both able-bodied and adapted sports, sports development and the leisure industry.
The campus itself is greenly-rural, yet London-urban, located amongst many partnership organisations for you to access for their own work based development.
The uniqueness of the course is displayed in the variety of sports industry modules options on offer, enabling you to choose several career pathways. The course highly regards innovative use of technology to enhance your experience, particularly in relation to supporting development of your teaching and coaching practice.
We have established strong links with over 200 schools that form our teaching partnerships and provide a diverse range of teaching settings for you to gain work placement experience. We also have strong links with a Premier League football club, where there are invaluable qualification and work-based learning opportunities.
The course is further supported by a team of lecturers who have a wide range of expertise in academic and industry fields, national and Olympic/Paralympic sport arenas and professional expertise and experience in PE and sport, who make every effort to know their students by name, not by number.
- Physical Education focuses on the physical, cognitive, emotional and psychological aspects of learning
- Sport Education focuses on participation in the broadest sense and on students developing as sports people
- Physical Education, Sport and Youth Development expresses our vision of a graduate who is both physically literate themselves and who is equipped and prepared to engage in the physical and sport education of others in a variety of community settings
- Physical Literacy is the concept that underpins all aspects of the degree programme where physical literacy is: ‘the motivation, confidence, physical competence, understanding and knowledge to maintain physical activity at an individually appropriate level, throughout life’
- The degree is offered as either a Single or Joint Honours programme.
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus.