This course combines a degree with a qualification to teach (QTS). We are currently judged as 'Outstanding' by Ofsted.
Why study Primary Education with QTS?
Primary Education leads to one of the most fulfilling and rewarding careers.
Our degree programme trains you to teach children aged 5 to 11 years old. It teaches you how to educate and inspire future generations, and gives you the perfect foundation for future pathways such as educational leadership.
You will gain an in-depth knowledge of primary education with three years to acquire the relevant knowledge and skills needed to be an outstanding teacher.
Why St Mary's?
We are a renowned institution and have close connections to many leading primary schools in London. School experience is an integral part of the course. You spend a minimum of six weeks in school each year where you progress from teaching small groups to whole classes.
Your school experience will be with Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2. Placements are organised by us to ensure that you receive the appropriate level of support. We promote international links and there are opportunities to study abroad during the course.
You will be supported by a passionate and caring team of experienced tutors who strive for excellence in the theory and practice of teaching. By studying with us fantastic resources and support systems will be available to you throughout your degree.
In line with our Mission Statement, we seek to prepare teachers for both religious and secular schools with special provision for those intending to teach in Roman Catholic and other Christian schools.
- 92% of our education students are in in graduate-level employment or further HE study after 6 months (Guardian Uni League Tables 2019)
- One year after graduating our education students are, on average, the second highest paid across the sector earning £3,300 more per year (on average) than the median salary. Five years after graduating this figure goes up to £6,100. (Department for Education LEO data, 2017)
- Primary Education with QTS scored 97% for overall satisfaction, 96% for learning opportunities and 94% for teaching satisfaction and academic support in the 2018 National Student Survey.
- Our Primary Initial Teacher Education courses are judged by Ofsted as ‘outstanding’ - the highest grade attainable in an Ofsted inspection.
- You will choose four elective subjects in the second year, allowing you to showcase your talents and follow your particular interests
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus