This two-year foundation degree course is aimed at individuals who are currently working or gaining experience within the Sports Coaching industry, or those looking to become a sports coach whilst studying.
Why study Sports Coaching?
Studying Sports Coaching at university can empower graduates to develop a career that inspires young people, adults and communities to make the best of themselves through sport and physical activity.
Whether developing athletes to greater performance or encouraging individuals towards participating in physical activity for health benefits, the UK is a developing area for coaching education.
This two-year degree is aimed at individuals who are currently working or gaining experience within the Sports Coaching industry, or additionally, those looking to progress in the field.
One key aim is to develop self-sufficient sports coaches within two years and you will be encouraged by your tutors to build on your professional experience and industry qualifications.
Why St Mary's?
Sports Coaching at St Mary's has been designed to provide you with a thorough grounding in key areas of Sports Coaching, via a strong vocational element. You will frequently be required to put your academic and work-based learning into context through modules that relate to the science of sports coaching.
In the first year of study, you will undertake a professional observation; we can assist you in securing a place in an observational setting. During the second year of the course, you will complete a more formal work placement.
Successful completion of the programme leads to the award of a foundation degree and provides students with the opportunity of spending a further year completing a BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching Science undergraduate degree.
- Flexible two-day a week schedule
- Substantial vocational aspect to the programme
- Strong focus on personal development
- Integration of practical and theoretical concepts
- Enables individuals to develop a CV and enhance their career opportunities
- REPs Level Two Fitness Instructor endorsed
- Opportunity to study for one further year to achieve a full BSc award after successful completion of the Foundation degree
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus.