St Mary's has been recognised as one of the highest quality providers of training for primary teachers in the country. Our courses are excellent preparation for a career in teaching.
Why study Primary?
We aim to teach and learn alongside creative, reflective and dynamic practitioners who are committed to teaching children. The programme encourages you to increase your understanding of teaching and learning processes in order to develop and maintain the high levels of enthusiasm, ability and passion necessary within the teaching profession.
At St Mary's, we look for those who wish to learn from challenges and seek a higher capacity to know more. In line with the University Mission Statement, the programme seeks to prepare teachers for schools at home and abroad with special provision for those intending to teach in Roman Catholic and other Christian schools.
Why St Mary's?
The Primary PGCE programme provides an intense training experience that combines academic rigour with personal and professional learning experiences. The training is designed to meet the needs of each trainee to support and develop the skills, knowledge and attributes needed to start a teaching career.
In preparation for your teaching role, you will be trained across the 5-11 age range, developing knowledge and practice to support your development of:
- Critical understanding of educational theory
- Reflective practice linked to professional standards
- Practitioner research and a wide range of educational issues to understand the unique characteristics of children and their learning needs
- Subject-specific knowledge and creative ways to enthuse and educate children.
Our Primary and Secondary Initial Education courses have been judged by Ofsted, the government department that regulates teacher training, to be ‘outstanding’ - the highest grade attainable in an Ofsted inspection. The courses were deemed to be outstanding for both ‘overall effectiveness’ and the ‘capacity for further improvement and/or sustaining overall quality.’
Primary PGCE UCAS codes:
- 96% of PGCE Primary students are employed or in further study (or both) within six months of graduating (Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education, 2016/17)
- Rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted
- Excellent school partnerships
- Excellent Teaching and Learning
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus in West London