Please note: applications for 2019/20 entry are currently closed.
This Master's degree is designed to support students in developing into outstanding Strength and Conditioning coaches.
Why study Strength and Conditioning (Distance Learning)?
To be an excellent strength and conditioning coach requires a wide knowledge across several domains and a number of different skill sets. These include:
- An extensive "toolbox" of training exercises and interventions
- An understanding of movement and the ability to teach movement
- An understanding of how the body adapts to training and how to organise training to maximise desirable adaptations
- An ability to coach
- The ability to understand various sources of evidence (including scientific evidence) and use it to inform your practice
Our Master's degree in Strength and Conditioning has been designed with these demands in mind and aims to support students in developing as excellent strength and conditioning coaches.
Why St Mary's?
We're widely recognised as an international leader in strength and conditioning education. We were the first UK institution to offer an undergraduate degree in strength and conditioning, and this Master's programme was the first part-time, distance learning strength and conditioning course in the UK.
In recent years the University has invested £250,000 in a state of the art Performance Education Centre, which is unrivalled as a facility for strength and conditioning education.
Our staff includes both highly experienced coaches and expert sport scientists. All of the course material is designed specifically for the strength and conditioning degree, ensuring that the practical relevance of the scientific evidence to the strength and conditioning coach is always fully explored.
The distance learning nature of this course has several advantages for professionals. Principal among these is the opportunity to combine study with practical work experience, allowing the translation of science into practice. In addition, you can organise your study around your own personal schedule. You can download lectures and watch them at times that suit you.
Pre-entry course information
For further information about the degree, please download our pre-entry course information PDF. This PDF is delivered in a similar format to the majority of lectures on the MSc, so will give you a feel for the principal mode of delivery for the course.
Please note: the file needs to be saved to your computer before opening and viewing. To play this file you need to have the latest Adobe PDF Viewer, Adobe Shockwave, Adobe Flash and Java installed on your computer. Unfortunately, this file will not play on iPads or iPhones.
- Be taught in a state of the art, £250,000 Performance Education Centre
- St Mary's MSc in S&C was the first distance learning course of its kind in the UK
- The course is distinct from many others in the sector in emphasising the development of coaching skills