Sports Communications and Marketing is a practical degree that combines specialist industry knowledge with a range of transferable skills in communications and marketing.
- St Mary's University is the top university in London for Sport.
- Students gain digital skills training underpinned by critical knowledge and understanding.
- Modules are taught in collaboration with industry professionals.
- Rose 26 places in the 2023 Complete University Guide
- Degree includes a placement year of paid work experience
Why study Sports Communications and Marketing?
Designed in collaboration with industry experts, this exciting new course reflects the growing demand for creative and digitally literate graduates with strong marketing communication skills keen to work in the sports industries.
Why St Mary's?
St Mary’s University has an impressive track record of developing successful degree programmes related to sport and the sports industries.
We work closely with some of the leading sports communication and marketing companies in London to offer outstanding work placements that will prepare you for a range of exciting careers in sport, business and media.
The course takes an interdisciplinary approach to communications and marketing by combining industry-specific knowledge with applied skills.
The emphasis placed on work experience, as well as the acquisition of creative design and production skills, will provide you with a unique learning experience and a head-start in a rapidly changing digital world.
About the Placement Year
A placement year enables students to undertake a year of experience in an organisation between their second and final year. It is a substantial piece of paid experience where you can make a real contribution to your employer and it can really make you stand out from the crowd!
It will also enable you to:
- Apply the knowledge and skills you gain from your course in a work setting
- Build your commercial awareness and insights into organisations and industries you might want to work in.
- Develop your professional skills through company training, networking skills and confidence in the workplace
- Get some great experience for future job applications or even land a graduate job!
Support from St Mary’s every step of the way.
Securing a placement can really help you develop your job search skills and the Employability Service placement and careers teams can support you to find and apply for available opportunities. You will need to attend some preparatory workshops which will explain all aspects of the placement year and give you the skills to find the placement of your choice. With access to our jobs board, careers events and employer contacts you will be able to approach companies confidently and find the right opportunity for you.
Please note: in the event that you cannot secure a placement you will be able to transfer onto the 3 year version of your degree programme.
Chat to a student
Dr Jacob Johanssen
Associate Professor in Communications