The Foundation Degree provides a unique and innovative learning opportunity for potential students to learn and develop their teaching, coaching, business and entrepreneurship skills whilst gaining an in-depth knowledge and understanding of football and community development.
Why study Football Education, Coaching and Development?
The Foundation Degree has been developed as a collaboration between, St Mary’s University, a highly regarded higher education institute with a strong reputation for teaching, learning and sport and Chelsea Football Club Foundation, a world renowned charity working with the local community to improve the lives of young people through football and education. This Foundation Degree in Football Education, Coaching and Development provides a unique and innovative learning opportunity for potential students to learn and develop their teaching, coaching, business and entrepreneurship skills whilst gaining an in-depth knowledge and understanding of football and community development. Students will also be able to gain valuable work experience opportunities within the world leading Chelsea Football Club Foundation projects.
Why St Mary's?
Students will also have the opportunity to undertake two placement modules with CFC Foundation in a range of settings. This will provide students with an opportunity to fully appreciate how they apply the knowledge and understanding that they would have generated during their studies on the foundation degree. The degree will be delivered at St Mary’s University, Stamford Bridge and the Chelsea training ground in Cobham, Surrey.
Students will be encouraged to discuss their own experiences in light of the theoretical and conceptual areas covered in the foundation degree. Teaching methods include practicals, seminars, lectures, workshops, observations, in-situ practicals (at various Chelsea FC Foundation contexts), problem based sessions, technology based sessions, and peer teaching.
A range of teaching and assessment methods and strategies will be utilized in the delivery of this degree. Presentations, small group work, workshops and practical sessions will be utilised to create a positive and enabling learning environment.
The assessments of the modules will be aligned to modes of teaching and learning. Specifically, the assessments will help develop skills and competencies that are required in the work place.
- Unique collaborative relationship with Chelsea FC Foundation.
- Opportunity to develop coaching and teaching practice in various Chelsea FC Foundation settings.
- Vocational qualifications are embedded into the course. These include: FA Level 1, FA Level 2, FA Futsal Level 1 and Association for Physical Education Level 3.
- Variety of teaching venues, including St Mary's University, Chelsea FC Training ground (Cobham) and Stamford Bridge.
- Staff expertise across a wide range of football settings, including: performance football, academy football, participation football, disability football, social inclusion, primary and secondary physical education, sports development and business, performance analysis, sports science, coach education, coach mentoring.