Whilst employed in work with children and young people for at least half of the week - in either a paid or voluntary capacity - you will attend St Mary's University for one day a week to achieve a Bachelor's degree.
Why study Primary Education with QTS (Work-Based Route)?
Primary Teaching is a rewarding and challenging choice of career. We offer two degree pathways for students who have successfully completed a Foundation degree in Education that would like to achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Choosing the Work-Based Route to gain a QTS meets the needs of distinctive areas of education - teaching, learning and pedagogy.
This part-time course allows you the unique opportunity to continue to work within the education sector whilst studying with us.
Why St Mary's?
All pathways within this programme prepare you to teach children aged 5-11:
The programme includes students from a broad cross-section of society who work in faith and secular contexts, special needs, Primary and Early Years.
We have developed strong partnerships with a variety of schools including Catholic, other church and secular schools. Colleagues from these schools are involved in selecting students, supporting them during periods of school experience and contributing to University-based modules.
Our Primary Education (Work-based Route) with QTS pathway has a 100% successful employment rate.
As well as these two pathways, we offer a one-year, non-QTS undergraduate degree in Primary Education for anyone who has completed an education foundation degree.
- 100% of Primary Education with QTS (Work-Based Route) students are in professional employment, further study or both six months after graduation (HESA, DLHE 2015/16)
- One year after graduating our education students are, on average, the second highest paid across the sector earning £3,300 more per year (on average) than the median salary. Five years after graduating this figure goes up to £6,100. (Department for Education LEO data, 2017)
- Our Primary Initial Teacher Education courses are judged by Ofsted as ‘outstanding’ - the highest grade attainable in an Ofsted inspection.
- Each module is delivered by specialists with a background in the primary classroom
- You will be taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus one day a week
Please note: Primary Education with QTS (Work-Based Route) is subject to revalidation.