Our Nutrition course offers you the opportunity to develop the professional competencies and skills required for the application of nutritional science in a number of fields.
Why study Nutrition?
Diet and Nutrition is a multi-million-pound industry and continually in the media. Chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, cancers and diabetes kill more than 36 million people each year. An unhealthy diet is known to be a major risk factor in the cause of many of these diseases.
Additionally, diet and nutritional status can be linked to many other conditions such as osteoporosis, dental disease and dementia. This degree programme provides a sound review of the scientific basis for the links between dietary factors, health and disease.
Association for Nutrition accreditation
Our Nutrition degree has been successfully accredited by the Association for Nutrition (AfN) since 2010. Studying an AfN-accredited degree programme will help you stand out in the job market and puts you at an advantage when compared to graduates coming from non-accredited courses.
If you study Nutrition as a single honours degree, you will be eligible to apply for direct entry as a Registered Associate Nutritionist.
Joint honours students can also enter as an become a Registered Associate Nutritionist will need to major in Nutrition and demonstrate additional competencies through an individual portfolio.
Hong Kong Nutritionists Society accreditation
Our Nutrition degree has also been successfully accredited by the Hong Kong Nutritionists Society (HKNS). This accreditation makes single honours graduates eligible to apply for direct registration as a Registered Associate Nutritionist (RANutr) of the HKNS.
For graduates returning to Hong Kong, The HKNS will arrange freshly graduated RANutr to join our guidance program to accumulate practical experience under the guidance of experienced Registered Nutritionists (RNutr), with a view to prepare the RANutr for independent practice in the future.
Why St Mary's?
All the modules that you'll study have a specific nutrition focus. Biochemistry, Physiology and Public Health are all nutrition-orientated with related industry, lifestyle and case study examples provided throughout your learning.
In your final year, you will have the opportunity to apply your nutritional knowledge in a number of fields such as sports nutrition or clinical nutrition.
We believe that it's essential for you to leave here as an employable graduate, so throughout your degree you are actively encouraged to seek work experience and development that will enhance your portfolio of life skills.
Recently, students have undertaken in placements with Action on Sugar, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution and the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability. There are also opportunities within the university to work with the Health and Wellbeing team on projects such as the Man with a Pan.
You will also be able to spend a semester at the Universidad de Navarra, in the beautiful city of Pamplona, Spain. You don’t need to be fluent in Spanish; all courses are taught in English. We can also support you in securing funding to help you cover the costs of living in Spain.
- 91% teaching satisfaction in the 2017 National Student Survey (NSS). Nutrition also scored 95% for learning resources and 91% for learning opportunities in the 2017 NSS
- The Single Honours Degree Programme is accredited by the Association for Nutrition and provides an overview of the relationship between diet and health and explores solutions to the nutrition-related health issues in society today
- The Nutrition department has a large newly fitted Nutrition Suite with 12 workstations and 1 with disability access for use in practical sessions, students also have access to an Air Displacement Plethysmograph on campus (BodPod)
- The applied nature of the programme will enable you to link theory and research and to develop strategies for the improvement of the nutritional status of specified population groups
- A range of scholarships are available for undergraduate students
- Taught on our historic Strawberry Hill campus