Our Master's degree in Pedagogy is designed to enable teachers and other education professionals to develop research-informed practice.
Why study Education: Pedagogy ?
This degree is designed for anyone involved in teaching and learning. There is a choice of modes of delivery to meet the needs of practitioners in all locations and phases of schooling: face-to-face, blended (combining elements of intensive face-to-face learning on study days with online learning) or an online programme. The programme offers teachers and other education professionals - including teaching assistants, mentors and librarians - a choice of pathways related to your practice at any stage of your career.
The programme supports learning and develops your ability to reflect critically on classroom practice. The focus throughout the degree is on developing pedagogical understanding as reflective practitioners. You'll gain a wider understanding of key issues in the field of education. You’ll also develop a critical understanding of research methodology as you plan and conduct a small-scale enquiry into an issue of your own choice. This will enable you to further your own understanding of your practice.
Why St Mary's?
Building on our long tradition of excellence in teacher education, we provide a flexible approach to this professional Master’s degree. In addition to being delivered at the university and as a distance programme it is also taught at school-centres in partnership with individual schools and groups of schools, including Academy Trusts and Teaching Alliances, helping them to develop a research culture supported by continuing professional learning and has potential for high impact on school improvement. This offers the opportunity for busy professionals to study in small groups in their own contexts.
The success of this degree lies in the flexible structure, bespoke delivery and quality of teaching offered. You will apply your learning to practical situations within you own school, using your knowledge to drive effective change, whilst critically engaging with contemporary educational debates.
The choice of option modules enables you to specialise in an area of direct relevance to your practice: Literacy, Mathematics, Religious Education, Science, Dyslexia, and Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).
You will have access to excellent online learning resources as well as a dedicated library for Education students, the Naylor library, which has numerous study spaces, open access IT facilities and a café
You will work with MA tutors who have experience in teaching, management and leadership as well as research and consultancy.
- Enables schools and staff to advance their professional skills and expertise through the development of a research culture.
- You can apply your learning to practical situations within your own schools, using their knowledge to drive effective change
- You can participate in this programme in school hubs, at St Mary's University and through the face to face and distance options
- You will have access to excellent tutorial and supervisory support
- The degree is designed to facilitate reflection and enquiry into practice amongst teachers and other education professionals
- A high proportion of our graduates gain promotion within two years
- The programme provides excellent preparation for doctoral study