Telephone: 020 8240 4821
Nicola graduated from the University of Portsmouth in 2005 with a first class BSc (Hons) degree in Sports Science. Having developed a keen interest in health and exercise during her degree Nicola began a PhD and research assistantship in the area of obesity and health and successfully completed her PhD in the area of obesity and body composition in July 2010.
Nicola is currently a senior lecturer in the area of health, exercise and physical activity at St Mary’s and contributes to a number of undergraduate and postgraduate modules including physiology, physical activity and health, anthropometry, health promotion and research methods.
Nicola is an accredited ISAK Level III anthropometrist delivering ISAK accredited training courses to a wide range of sport and health professionals. She also provides anthropometric assessment and support working with a number of organisations including the Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme, the English Football Association and British Waterskiing.
Nicola currently collaborates with the Research Group in Breast Health at the University of Portsmouth.
This collaborative research utilises Nicolas expertise in anthropometric assessment to understand the relationship between breast size and anthropometry and to examine the relationship between anthropometry and breast kinematics. Additional research has identified how breast pain affects the working and personal lives of the female population and exploring the breast support issues and breast pain experienced by female marathon runners.
Nicola has presented at national conferences (BASES, UK PHA, ECSS, NCO, and Evidence Live) in the areas of anthropometry, the breast, and obesity.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Brown, N., Burnett, E., & Scurr, J. (in press). Is breast pain greater in active females compared to the general population in the UK? The Breast Journal.
- Brown, N. & Scurr, J. (in press). ‘Breasts are getting bigger’. Where is the evidence? Journal of Anthropological Sciences
- Scurr, J., Brown, N., Smith, J., Brasher, A., Risius, D., & Marczyk, A. (in press). The influence of the breast on sport and exercise participation in school girls in the UK. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Bruinvels, G., Burden, R., Brown, N., Richards, T., & Pedlar, C. (2015). The prevalence and impact of heavy menstrual bleeding among athletes and mass start runners of the 2015 London Marathon. British Journal of Sports Medicine. DOI:10.1136/bjsports-2015-095505
- Scurr, J., Loveridge, A., Brown, N., & Mills C. (2015). Acute changes in clinical breast measurements following bra removal: Implications for surgical practice. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery Open, 3, 22-25.
- Scurr, J., Hedger, W., Morris, P., & Brown, N. (2014). The prevalence, severity and impact of breast pain in the general population. The Breast Journal, 20(5), 508-513.
- Brown, N., White, J., Brasher, A. & Scurr, J. (2014). An investigation in to breast support and sports bra use in female runners of the 2012 London Marathon. Journal of Sports Science, 32(9), 801-809.
- Brown, N., White, J., Brasher, A. & Scurr, J. (2014). The experience of mastalgia in female runners of the 2012 London Marathon and its effect on exercise behaviour. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 48, 320-325.
- Brown, N. & Scurr, J. (2012). The need for standardised anthropometric protocol for objective pre- and post-operative breast surgery. Gland Surgery, 1(3), 142-145.
- Brown, N., White, J., Milligan, A., Risius, D., Ayres, B., Hedger, W. & Scurr, J. (2012). The relationship between breast size and anthropometric measures. American Journal of Human Biology, 24, 158-164.
Conference Communications and Published Abstracts
- Scurr J & Brown N. (2015). Is breast bounce an issue for female athletes? Female Athlete Conference, 19-20 June, Boston, US.
- Brown, N., & Scurr, J. (2013). The need for a standardised anthropometric protocol for objective assessment of pre and post-operative breast surgery. Evidence Live, 25-26 March, 2013. Oxford, UK.
- Brown, N., White, J., Milligan, A., Risius, D., Ayres, B., Hedger, W. & Scurr, J. (2013). Limitations of clinical selection criteria for mammoplasty. Evidence Live, 25-26 March, 2013. Oxford, UK.
- Brown, N., White, J., Milligan, A., Risius, D., & Scurr, J. (2011). The influence of anthropometric measures on three-dimensional breast kinematics. In NT Cable & K George (Eds.), Proceedings of the 16th Annual Congress of the ECSS (pp. 467). July, Liverpool, UK.