We aim to secure Research Degree Awarding Powers by the end of 2020 and expand our doctoral programmes including a strategically focused suite of fully-funded studentships; nurture carefully selected areas of internationally leading and world class research, reflected in much improved assessment in the next REF; and enhance our public profile and impact, attracting research funding and talent and deepening our interdisciplinary focus.
Our place as Britain’s leading global Catholic University and its most improving higher educational institution depends in large part on advancing our research and enterprise. Building our research standing will enhance the reputation of St Mary’s among prospective students and staff. Rapidly expanding our enterprise activity will allow us to diversify our income streams. That will enable us to seize new opportunities to engage with local, national and international partners from industry, the public sector and civil society, and enhance the educational, social and public value we contribute within London and beyond.
To propel our simultaneous ambitions in teaching, research and enterprise we will broaden our academic career structure. The purpose is to ensure parity of esteem between teaching and highly specialised research and to encourage, recruit and reward excellence in broader scholarship, enterprise and professional practice which are critical to enriching the learning environment at St Mary’s. In each of our schools we will reinforce a culture that delivers research informed study at undergraduate and postgraduate level alike. We will also look at the impact and success of each of our existing research centres to determine those deserving further investment.
Our enterprise strategy will enable us to enhance our reputation, reach and public benefit; enrich our educational offer; deepen our impact; attract dynamic staff and talent; and raise our profile in the public square. Going forward we will focus on securing growth in our specialisms of education, drama, and sport and allied health issues as well as reinforcing the opportunities afforded by developing a new business and management school. Communications, public and social, politics, religion and the arts will soon also become a focus.
- Raise funds from our network of alumni, foundations, corporations and those sharing our values and ambitions;
- Forge further long-term strategic partnerships to extend St Mary’s research and influence as well as to position the University for joint ventures and contract research;
- Develop an institutional capacity to scope and deliver new initiatives;
- Establish ourselves at the heart of our local community, partnering with local authorities;
- Engage with local, national and international business and industry through services provided by St Mary’s specialist staff thereby increasing knowledge exchange, building research impact, and diversifying the University’s income streams;
- Grow world leading research centres in line with the University’s core mission;
- Grow the number of our visiting professors and make full use of them to increase global interest in St Mary’s;
- Introduce two new career tracks – Teaching & Scholarship and Enterprise; and
- Expand the University’s research culture.