Skip to content Exit mobile menu

5: Undertake GCSE equivalency tests

Not a UK/Ireland applicant? Please check the international application process

We understand that not everyone who wants to become a teacher has the qualifications required. This is particularly true when it comes to GCSEs.

If you do not have passing grades in GCSE English, Maths and Science you may need to undertake an equivalency test.  International qualifications equivalent to GCSEs will be assessed by St Mary’s using the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC).

GCSE equivalencies are required regardless of any higher qualification in a related subject. For example, an individual with an A Level or undergraduate degree in Mathematics, English or Science also requires the appropriate GCSEs.

We offer GCSE equivalency tests in Eng­lish, Mathematics and Science. A pass in one of these equivalency tests is considered to be of the same standard as a GCSE C grade.

Our equivalency tests do not count as a qualification in their own right and are only appropriate for those who have accepted a conditional offer to train with St Mary’s University or a partner school.

Please note: we do not accept equivalency test results from any other provider and don't currently offer tuition or short courses.

Booking an equivalency test

If you need to undertake one or more equivalency tests please contact for information about exam dates.

Next: Fitness to teach form

Previous: Accept your offer