Foundation Degrees may be awarded with merit and distinction as follows:
- 70%: Award with Distinction
- 60%: Award with Merit
- 40%: Award
In determining the overall mark for programmes running 20/40 credit modules, the best 100 credits at FHEQ Level 4 (Year 1) and 100 credits at FHEQ Level 5 (Year 2) will be counted for the Foundation Degree.
The weighting of the average mark for each level is as follows:
- Overall Mark = 3/10 (FHEQ Level 4 Average Mark) + 7/10 (FHEQ Level 5 Average Mark)
- The final degree mark is calculated by applying either of the two methods below, whichever produces a higher score:
The overall mark for a Foundation Degree shall be determined by combining the average marks at FHEQ Level 4 and FHEQ Level 5 subject to the formula below:
- For programmes running 20/40 credit modules, the average mark at each level shall be a percentage mark composed of the average of a candidate's best 200 credits including compensation credits at FHEQ Level 4 & 5.
- The module with the lowest mark at FHEQ Level 4 and 5 will be disregarded up to a maximum of 20 credits in each Level. The Dissertation or Independent Study Module will not be disregarded from the degree mark if it is the lowest mark in Level 5.
The marks using best 100 credits at Level 5 alone (Method of Calculation: Mark (%) x credit value of module). The Dissertation or Independent Study Module will not be disregarded from the degree classification if it is the lowest mark in Level 5.