In line with the QAA Quality Code, the University has defined policies and regulations governing the appointment of External Examiners, and premature termination of their contract. Full details of the nomination procedures can be found in the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Handbook including the criteria applied when considering any application
The programme must be assured the candidate has the appropriate experience. This does not only refer to the subject/discipline knowledge but also the nature of the programme in question. For instance, nominees for a foundation degree would be expected to have knowledge and experience that relates to the workplace and practice elements that are relevant to FDs. Similarly, nominees for postgraduate programmes should have the relevant background enabling them to moderate and comment on programmes incorporating the greater critical and analytical content expected in postgraduate study.
No person shall be eligible to hold an appointment as External Examiner if they:
- Teach on the programme of study to which he/she is being considered for appointment;
- Hold a teaching or other appointment of St Mary's University or its collaborative partners, or has held such an appointment within four years prior to the date of commencement of the proposed appointment as External Examiner;
- Are a close relative of a member of the nominating School or programme team or of a candidate, or has an association with the nominating School which could compromise his/her role and independence as External Examiner;
- Have previously served as External Examiner at St Mary's University at any time within the previous four years or has an association with the University and/ or the nominating School or the University's collaborative partners;
- Already hold two concurrent appointments as External Examiner at first degree and/or higher degree level(s);
- Are a current student of St Mary's University or its collaborative partners;
- Holds a teaching or other appointment from non-UK institutions;
- Have retired from full-time work in Higher Education;
- Are employed at an institution where more than one current St Mary's External Examiner is already in post, and/or is employed at the same department at the same institution as any current St Mary's External Examiner already in post.
All nominations for initial appointment must be made on the following forms and submitted to the Quality and Standards Office firstname.lastname@example.org
These forms will be submitted for approval to the relevant Faculty/Institute Academic Development Committee (F/IADC), and then for noting by the Quality Assurance and Enhancement sub-Committee.
The F/IADC will wish to see in particular:
- Experience in teaching and assessment, and/or professional practice, relevant to the programme(s) for which the appointment of External Examiner is being considered;
- Experience of programme/curriculum design and/or leadership, and familiarity with quality assurance procedures.
If there are any queries or further support needed, please contact Harriet Deevey in the Quality and Standards team email@example.com