Tel: 020 8240 4362
About Research Media
Emily joined St Mary's in 2014 as a Lecturer in Strength and Conditioning. Previously, she worked with the English Institute of Sport as a strength and conditioning coach, working with a variety of sports including synchronised swimming, rugby and rowing and with GB badminton and wheelchair fencing.
Emily has a BSc in Sports Science and an MSc in Strength and Conditioning from St Mary's University. Emily is currently working towards a PhD determining movement variability in jumping based tasks. She is also involved in research in female health, specifically looking at how the menstrual cycle impacts movement.
- Blagrove, R.C., Howe, L.P., Cushion, E.J., Spence, A., Howatson, G., Pedlar, C.R. & Hayes, P.R. (2018). Effects of strength training on postpubertal adolescent distance runners. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 50, 1224-1232.
- Cushion, E., Howe, L., Read, P., & Spence, A. (2017). A process for error correction for strength and conditioning coaches. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 39, 84-92.
- Howe, L. & Cushion, E. (2017). A problem solving process to identify the origins of poor movement. Professional Strength and Conditioning Journal, 45, 7-15.
- Cushion, E., Goodwin, J. & Cleather, D. (2016). Relative intensity influences the degree of correspondence of jump squats and push jerks to countermovement jump. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 30, 1255-1264.
- Howe, L., Read, P., & Cushion, E. (2016). Case study report: A systematic approach to movement screening. Professional Strength and Conditioning Journal, 41, 27-34.
- Spence, A. & Cushion, E. (2015). Determining reliability: a data collection guide for S&C practitioners. Professional Strength and Conditioning Journal, 36, 27-33.
- Cushion, E., North, J. & Cleather, D. Use of principal component analysis to determine movement characteristics in the countermovement jump. 8th World Congress of Biomechanics; 2018 July 8-12; Dublin, Ireland.
- Blagrove, R.C., Howe, L.P., Cushion, E., Howatson, G. & Hayes, P.R. A ten-week neuromuscular training intervention improves movement competency in adolescent middle-distance runner. Poster presented at: UK strength and conditioning association annual conference; 2017 Aug 5-6; Leicester, UK.
- Bond, J., Price, P., & Cushion, E. The influence of strength and flexibility on vertical jumping in elite ballet dancers. Poster presented at: UK strength and conditioning association annual conference; 2017 Aug 5-6; Leicester, UK.
- Driver, O., Cushion, E., & Price, P. A biomechanical investigation into the rugby lineout lift and comparison to the barbell push press and strongman log press. Poster presented at: UK strength and conditioning association annual conference; 2017 Aug 5-6; Leicester, UK.
- Kadlec, D., Cushion, E., & Cleather, D. Effects of different attentional foci on performance, kinetic and kinematic variables in countermovement jumps and drop jumps. 11th Joint Conference on Motor Control & Learning, Biomechanics & Training; 2016 Sept 28-30; Darmstadt, Germany.
- Blagrove, R., Howe, L. Cushion, E., Spence, A., Howatson, G., Pedlar, C. & Hayes, P. (2016). Strength training enhances running economy in adolescent middle distance runners. BASES Conference; 2016 Nov 29-30; Nottingham, UK.
In the news
Strength and Conditioning Science Lecturer at St Mary's University, Twickenham Emily Cushion has written about the best exercises for rugby players. Find out more...
A Strength and Conditioning Science Lecturer at St Mary’s University, Twickenham has taken a podium position at the England’s Strongest Woman competition. Find out more...
St Mary’s University, Twickenham undergraduate student Eren Oguz becomes the British under-23 Powerlifting Champion. Find out more...
For media enquiries, please contact our Communications and Public Engagement Manager, Sam Yarnold, by emailling email@example.com or calling 020 8240 8262.