Tel: 020 8240 4148
Joanna Woodbridge joined The School of Education, Theology and Leadership at St Mary's University in August 2012.
Prior to lecturing on the Primary Education programmes Joanna was a teacher for eight years in a comprehensive school in Surrey.
She is coordinator of the part-time PGCE students and lectures in Art across the PGCE and undergraduate programmes.
Joanna's particular areas of interest are:
- Inclusion and inclusive practice illustrated by involvement in governance at special schools.
- The importance of using Contemporary Art reference in the primary art curriculum in order that training teachers’ broaden frames of reference when teaching art in the classroom.
- Building links with galleries, artists and designers. In 2017-18 this included working with The National Gallery on the ITE Placement scheme, working with Orleans House Gallery and inviting Emma Dodd children’s book writer and illustrator to work with Year 3 UG students.
- Working with schools and other agencies to promote and champion the value of Art and Design in the curriculum, illustrated by creating Inset training opportunities for Richmond Schools.
- Continuing to build upon international links with University colleagues in Europe in order to develop opportunities for exchange programmes for Art elective training teachers and to share expertise with colleagues.
Joanna graduated from Saint Martin's School of Art in 1991 with a degree in Graphic Design.
Joanna has worked in many different areas of design including as a freelance designer at The Body Shop; and as a freelance window designer for Harvey Nichols and Selfridges. She has worked as an illustrator for a variety of magazines including Harpers and Queen and Drapers Record. Joanna was a design consultant in fashion for 10 years.
In 2003 Joanna completed her PGCE at The Institute of Education, University College London.
In 2018 Joanna completed her MA in Art Education at The Institute of Education, University College London.
In the news
Education students at St Mary’s University College, Twickenham have been chosen to take part in a teacher training programme with the National Gallery. Find out more...
For media enquiries, please contact our Press Office Team by emailling email@example.com or calling 020 8240 8262.